Mares Icon HD - deco stop on 3m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ihtiander Asking the same question repeatedly will not change the answer. We would save time if you focused on the answers you are given and tried harder to understand them. I do understand that there might be a language barrier to overcome.

People are concerned for your safety, as what you are describing shows a dangerous lack of core diving knowledge.

After deco-dive my Mares Icon HD NR offer me to make one or two deep-stops and before safety-stop ask me to go to 3m depth to make deco-stop.

You are confused about deco and safety stops. They are different.

It is dangerous to not understand this difference. That is why this knowledge is taught on every entry-level diver course syllabus, for every diving agency.

Why deco-stop must be completed on the depth higher than depth for safety-stop ???

Easy answer: Because a deco stop is very different to a safety stop.

Advanced answer: Because off-gassing nitrogen is more critical for mandatory decompression and doing so at 3m offers a higher pressure gradient across the tissue-lung-ambient barriers than a stop at 5m. This clears out more nitrogen, at a quicker speed from your body. In contrast, a safety stop is not mandatory and there is no unreasonable risk of decompression sickness if you miss it. The diving industry assigned 5m at the safety stop depth because it offers a compromise between effective off-gassing and ease of performance. Optimal pressure gradient differentials is not the primary concern of a safety stop.

Every time I must explain to the guides that my computer ask me to do that.

If you tell them that you had to complete decompression, they should understand.

If they were as confused about deco/safety stops as you are - then they should not be working as dive guides.

Is it so strange algorithm or something wrong with settings or firmware ?

The algorithm, settings and firmware seem to be behaving exactly as predicted, exactly as they should, exactly as other dive computers do; and exactly as they are described in the manual.

Why Mares Icon HD send on 3m depth to make deco-stop?

Because that is the correct depth for an initial deco stop

Why all other computers make deco-stop on 5m ?

Because they are completing safety stops, not deco stops. They did not exceed no-deco limits on their computers and not in deco mode.

I want to find out is it firmware mistake or supernatural algorithm and no need to tell that all computers do that because it is NOT TRUE.

It is normal. It is not a firmware mistake or supernatural algorithm.

All computers change into 'deco mode' once no-deco time is exceeded. In deco mode, they give deco stops. Those stops start at 3m.

Different computers give different no-deco time limits. They use different algorithms to calculate this; based on time and depth.

I'm confused too, cause only me from all group incl. guide, forced to go higher than others after we all spend same time on same depth and confused guide ask me why I doing that

There is no need for confusion. Simply communicate the following to your dive guide:

1. You exceeded your no-decompression limit during the dive.
2. You computer entered deco mode.
3. You had to complete a mandatory deco stop at 3m, not a safety stop at 5m
4. On future dives, you will pay more attention to your no-deco limit, so that you don't go into deco and will be able to do a safety stop with the rest of the group.

I don't know WHY, but now we are so far from my question!!!

The answer is explained to you. If you exceed no-decompression limits, then your computers enters a different (deco) mode and the stops are different. Most importantly, the stops are now mandatory (as you are at much higher risk of decompression illness) and at a different depth (as the algorithm is trying to help you off-gas nitrogen more effectively given your hazardous situation).

The question was - why my Mares Icon HD NR after deco dive, send me on 3m depth to make deco-stop???

Because deco stops are completed at 3m increments.

Why other divers (other computers owners) make their deco-stops on 5m depth???

Because they are NOT doing deco stops. They are doing safety stops.

No I didn't. Why Mares Icon HD send on 3m depth to make deco-stop? Why all other computers make deco-stop on 5m ? It is simple question and I do not expect diving philosophy, I want to find out is it firmware mistake or supernatural algorithm and no need to tell that all computers do that because it is NOT TRUE.

I think you are mistaken about where "all other computers" put stops. They mostly put them at 3m but it depends on the profile. On some, such as the Shearwaters, you can set a last stop depth.

Deco 'stops' are actually about presentation to the diver. As your nitrogen levels fall your ceiling will become shallower and the 'stop' will go even if you are somewhat below the stop depth. This means you can do a 3m stop at 5m, but it will take longer and use more gas.

A safety stop is a count down of minutes, not to do with your nitrogen levels. As such it has to start counting somewhere, usually at 6m.

Looking at the manual, your computer produces a series of stops in the style of a dive planner or tables. This is quite different to some others which give a single ceiling depth which gradually decreases.

To be clear, are the other dives doing mandatory deco stops at 5m or safety stops? If it is a deco stop how long and deep were you? For example if they were diving computers set conservatively they might have a 5m ceiling while you have a ceiling between 0 and 3 and thus a 3m stop.

Not. All divets were into deco and all divets exclude me made their deco-stop on 5m depth and than safety-stop on the same depth.Only me was forced to make deco-stop on 3m depth because only me had Icon HD. All other computers allow make deco-stop on 5m depth. And 3m depth is not the "ceiling" fot Icon HD - it is depth where I MUST stay ( +_0,3m) during my deco-stop. Icon HD do not allow make deco-stop under 3m but all other computers allow do that. Why???

if they were diving computers set conservatively they might have a 5m ceiling while you have a ceiling between 0 and 3 and thus a 3m stop.

They'd have a 6m deco ceiling.

That'd come only after a 3m deco ceiling...unless the diver had manually selected to have their first deco stop at 6m depth (a deep-down menu option and not available on recreational computers). Otherwise, Deco stops start at 3m and only shift deeper to 6m depth after some significant time already showing a 3m deco stop depth obligation.

I don't know of any dive computer or algorithm that would present a 5m deco stop depth. That depth is only used in conjunction with safety stops. I don't know why that depth was selected... probably because it helps prevent confusion over whether the diver might be conducting a deco or safety stop?

Here is what the manual says. https://www.mares.com/common/__/11872.e3fa2f12.dl

Now, what was one of the other computers another diver was using? We can look at their manual and compare information.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Perhaps you should take this class.
Dive Computer Training

I don't know of any dive computer or algorithm that would present a 5m deco stop depth. That depth is only used in conjunction with safety stops. I don't know why that depth was selected... probably because it helps prevent confusion over whether the diver might be conducting a deco or safety stop?

Any algorithm not set to 3m incremental stops. In particular any computer presenting as continuous decompression such as a Suunto. The stops are not constrained to 3m intervals but go up as you off gas. You can try this by comparing the schedule for the same bottom time in multideco (for an example) given 3m stop intervals and 1m (or even less). You will also notice the total run time is significantly different.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom