Mares Icon HD - deco stop on 3m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, I tried to say what CuzzA did a lot better, but I never implied he is an idiot.
After refusing to acknowledge perfectly eloquent explanation, what do expect someone to do?

He asked a properly interesting question and got replies which assumed he had no idea including one recommending he took a course on how to work the computer. That and posting extracts from the manual really are no way to engage in a conversation.

What was this 'eloquent explanation'?

I own the Icon and if you read the manual it clearly states once you exceed 10m an automatic optional 3 minute safety stop timer will be created which should be conducted between 3-6m.

Since it sounds like you are entering into deco, the computer is generating a ceiling of 3m for decompression. You cannot exceed that depth or you will have incurred a runaway deco and the Icon will lock you out and enter gauge and bottom timer mode. If you stayed at 5m the Icon will calculate a longer time to clear your decompression obligation.
So, you can stay at 5m for your safety stop, but since it is not mandatory, computer does not know if you will do it or not, so it's going to next MANDATORY step, 3m for x minutes.
I own a Matrix, and while they are different computers, there are some similarities, if in a NDL dive, safety stop is activated when you get into range, but it is not displayed beforehand.

Last edited:
I'd have been interested in more information about the +/- 0.3m of the stop depth thing. That isn't how I read the manual .Maybe he would have come back and said 'ah now I understand, I was confused about this bit here but now I see...' or 'Indeed, the Mares people have chosen this behaviour in these circumstances that you might not expect...'

One thing which IS interesting is that, by my reading of the manual, it seems to show the upcoming stops rather than just a time to surface and ceiling. I wonder how that pans out in practice. Will it really keep you at 12m for 5 minutes then let you up to 9m with no intermediate stops, so preventing you keeping up with the ceiling?

He asked a properly interesting question and got replies which assumed he had no idea including one recommending he took a course on how to work the computer. That and posting extracts from the manual really are no way to engage in a conversation.

Hi Ken,

I think he got many well-intentioned answers, however. What would be your answer to his questions, actually?

I don't believe I was treating him as an idiot. If it sounded that way I apologize.

Nevertheless, Andy asked him some pretty basic questions about decompression and he replied that he didn't know. Meanwhile he is doing decompression dives. Should we blow that off as no big deal?

Furthermore, I explained with illustrations what his computer was doing as it didn't appear that he knew. And yes, finally I provided a link to the Mares Icon class. A class that I took when I purchased the computer and was helpful for understanding how the computer works.

Finally, after repeated attempts by others to answer the questions they were basically ignored. I would be shocked to see a different answer to the question found on a different forum.

Not sure if this is completely pertinent - but - my Navy tables give me a NDL of 60 minutes at 60 feet. My Icon, on it's least conservative setting, with no dives in 4 months, in the planning module tells me that the NDL for 60 feet is 44 minutes, at the most conservative setting it's only 30 minutes.

That kind of indicates, at least to me and my LDS owner, that the Icon (Mares in general) is very, very conservative. It's possible (likely) that the Icon will go into deco long before many other computers on the exact same profile.

I'm not saying that one should not be aware of deco vs safety stops re. consequences, risks, etc. Nor that it would be OK to push limits on a very conservative computer. Nor to ignore the computer. If I wanted to be less conservative I'd get a less conservative computer.

It doesn't much matter much to me because, though I'm trained and have done them, deep dives are not my cup of tea. Been there and done that. Everything I want to see can be seen at relatively shallow depths. I generally run out of air before I come close to NDL's.

Indeed, and Andy mentioned that in post #20. But the OP stated affirmatively that everyone was in deco.

I think what is really telling here is it sounds like the computer alone is being flown for deco diving. I'm not a technical diver, but I dont believe that is a safe practice. Furthermore, I don't believe the Icon is what we would categorize as a technical diving computer.

For those reasons, I believe that is why there is so much concern.

I think it is worth reading back and asking whether the replies ask for further information or clarification or do they implicitly criticise the OP?

Does it really matter HOW he ended up in deco? He did, now the question is did he misinterpret the computer or not? If he did then he can do better next time and we might discover how he was fooled so it doesn't happen to us or other readers. If he didn't we would have all learned something too.

The computer in question does deco with multiple gasses. Now technical diving is a marketing term and technical diving computers doubly so, but really I think there no cause for concern about the computer.

Indeed, and Andy mentioned that in post #20. But the OP stated affirmatively that everyone was in deco.

It read to me as if the OP was confused about deco and safety stops. He seemed to use the term inter-changeably. He didn't attempt to answer the clarifying questions, so the assumption was made that he didn't know the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom