Mares Icon HD Net Ready Connect USB to Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just received my new Mares Icon HD Net Ready and transmitter (FW 3.04).

Playing around getting it connected to Diver's Diary (Version 1.2.3) on my Mac in preparation for some diving next weekend.
As recommended on the Mares website, I first deleted the USBSerial service from my active Network preferences.
I have not dived with it yet but there appears to be 1 dive in the internal logbook of the Mares which I assume is a factory test.
The USB connection seems to work OK, it charges from USB and, when plugged in, the Mares displays "PC" and a USB symbol.
In Diver's Diary on the Mac, an image of the Icon HD appears and shows "DC connected to USB port".

Just once, it showed a serial number and I was able to type in some "user info" and upload it. That user info is now in the Icon HD. I even saw that one dive from the log book showing up in the Dives window.

But, since that one successful connection, if I click on "info" nothing shows in the serial number or log version boxes.
If I click on Statistics and Dives, nothing shows.
If I click on the "download dives" button, I get the error, "The USB connection to the Mac is not 100% stable yet. In case of connection problems, please unplug the cable, plug it back in and try again."

I have tried it about 20 times. I have tried aligning the clip-on connector. I have looked to see that the brass pins are dropping onto the indents on the connector.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? What else should I try?

Regards
Peter
Singapore

Hi,
Sorry to be short but I have to run.. I just received this short manual on conncecting the Icon HD to the MAC Divers Diary. Try this and let me know if this solves your issues.

Thanks,

zak

Attachments

• After connecting Icon HD to the Mac.pdf
    310.6 KB · Views: 532
Thanks Zak for the fast response. I'd already found this instruction on the Mares software website and it did not help.Through the Mares software website, I've already made contact with your team (really fast response, impressive) so we are talking about solutions.I have a suspicion that it might be caused by a faulty clip-on dongle - maybe not enough voltage getting through to create a stable signal.But your top guys are on the case so let's see how it evolves.RegardsPeter

Hello, I have the same problem (Diver Diary 1.2.3, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Icon HD net ready V3.04), but I never succeded to download my dives, but it works for other information (Dive Time, max depth, ICE...). I tested with MacDive and it works well.
Have you solved the problem?
Thanks

Hello, I have the same problem (Diver Diary 1.2.3, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Icon HD net ready V3.04), but I never succeded to download my dives, but it works for other information (Dive Time, max depth, ICE...). I tested with MacDive and it works well.
Have you solved the problem?
Thanks

So, in your case, the Mares Icon HD Net Ready connects to your Mac and uploads dives but only into MacDive and not into Diver Diary, right? Every time, no glitches?

Regards
Peter

I had the same issues when I got my Net Ready last year. Zak made every effort to help, and ultimately put me in touch with a Mares software engineer. Still did not help and, frankly, the engineer seemed rather clueless. The same "unstable connection" warnings are on the web site. It seems that this is a fundamentally unstable piece of software. My solution was to switch to Macdive. The folks there were awesome and highly responsive. I think mine may have been the first Net Ready they had to tinker with, and they ultimately created a beta version for me to test. They then released it as a full version and it works like a charm. It also very nicely synchronizes with Dive Log on an iPad.

The only downside is that you can't upload firmware updates or maps to the Icon with Macdive. I solved that problem by running the Mares PC Dive Log Manager in a virtual machine on my Mac. I only use that for those uploading functions. Not a perfect solution, but it gets the job done.

Hey Zak

Thanks for the note, I also performed these steps and have had no success. If there is someone that I can work with that would be great.

Thanks RAF

So, in your case, the Mares Icon HD Net Ready connects to your Mac and uploads dives but only into MacDive and not into Diver Diary, right? Every time, no glitches?

Regards
Peter

Hello peterbkk,
That's right, it works every time with MacDive and I never succeeded to download my dives into Diver Diary.
In Diver Diary, I can see see Info (Serial Number, Log Version and user Info) and Statistics (Total D-Time... Max Depth), and I can Upload User Info. But I can't see the dives.

Regards.
Mehdi

I understand from Mares that a new version of Diver Diary might be up on their website soon. Hopefully these connection problems will have been fixed.

Also a new firmware for the Icon HD Net Ready is coming soon. But, Mac users will need to find a Windows PC to be able to install the new firmware. :depressed:

I wonder how long before Mares realise that they are mistreating a large percentage of the diving community with this pro-Windows approach. In the past, Windows dominated, and still does in the workplace. But, looking at what divers, especially photographers and videographers, are bringing out on dive boats these days, I'd say it is about a 50/50 Windows to Mac ratio. Wake up Mares...

Regards
Peter

I understand from Mares that a new version of Diver Diary might be up on their website soon. Hopefully these connection problems will have been fixed.

Also a new firmware for the Icon HD Net Ready is coming soon. But, Mac users will need to find a Windows PC to be able to install the new firmware. :depressed:

I wonder how long before Mares realise that they are mistreating a large percentage of the diving community with this pro-Windows approach. In the past, Windows dominated, and still does in the workplace. But, looking at what divers, especially photographers and videographers, are bringing out on dive boats these days, I'd say it is about a 50/50 Windows to Mac ratio. Wake up Mares...

Regards
Peter

Mares is not doing this in house. They have farmed it out to an outside developer. Based on an email exchange I had with him recently, I don't believe they are any closer to solving this than they were a year ago. FWIW, as I indicated in another post on this thread, the PC version does work in a virtual machine on a Mac, so it's not necessary to find a separate PC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom