Mares Icon HD upgrade...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staggsSevin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how the Mares Icon HD upgrade will work. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. Basically I know if you buy one of the current Mares Icon HD computers they are not Air Integrated, however after the 1st of the year they will be and anyone that buys the non-AI version is eligible to upgrade to the AI version after the first of the year.

My question is how this will work, is it a differant unit or is it just a software upgrade and a transmitter that you pay for etc.

Any info would be of some great help as I'm considering picking one of these up, or deciding to hold off until after the 1st of the year.

Stagg,
The upgrade will work as follows.

• Consumer purchases non air integrated computer now.
  • You can use the computer as much as possible as well as engage in our beta version of the dive log manager software (included). We are looking for end user feedback and ideas to create the best dive log manager possible.
  • As soon as the air integrated version of Icon HD computer is available, you can take your existing computer to any authorized Mares dealer and upgrade to a brand new unit for the difference in cost of the air integrated version.
  • Consumer will receive a brand new computer including transmitter.
  • The original Icon HD is not compatible with air integration and will require a new unit.
Hope this helps to answer your questions. Thanks for your interest in this cutting edge dive computer technology.

Best regards,

Hi Zak,

Any idea how much the upgrade is likely to be?

Thanks!

i have the galileo sol. the luna is the same but without a heartbeat monitor (and resulting integration into your decompression calculation) and without the "predictive multi-gas" upgrade (where you can use three different nitrox mixes), although these can be purchased separately. to decide between the two, just decide whether you need these extras. (i wouldn't have, but the luna wasn't out when i purchased the sol.)

i haven't used the other two. i heard uwatec looked into making the sol line with a color display, but found it had a large impact on the battery life. (i don't know what the value is of a color computer underwater! i can barely see anything diving in swiss lakes already, much less trying to see a screen that has less stark writing than black!)

With regards to the air integration, will the transmitter have a serial number that you can program in once or will you have to sync it before every dive?

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread. My local Mares reseller has told me that the Icon HD can be upgraded to the air integrated version with a software upgrade only and by simply buying the TX when it's released. Aparently he double checked with his Mares rep and he confimred that this is the case.

This contradicts the information given above that states the unit would need to be returned for a completely new unit. Can you please confirm whether current models can be upgraded through firmware to support the TX when it's released.

Thanks!

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread. My local Mares reseller has told me that the Icon HD can be upgraded to the air integrated version with a software upgrade only and by simply buying the TX when it's released. Aparently he double checked with his Mares rep and he confimred that this is the case.

This contradicts the information given above that states the unit would need to be returned for a completely new unit. Can you please confirm whether current models can be upgraded through firmware to support the TX when it's released.

Thanks!

UKScuba,

To clarify direct from Mares Italy. An upgrade to air integration for current production Icon HD's will require turning in the old computer and receive a new computer with transmitter. The cost of this upgrade will only be the difference of the new transmitter.

I hope this helps to clarify the question.

Best regards,

Zak

Could you please give a release date on the air integration - and confirm that your post on the 18th November 2009 is still correct. the reason I ask is I have an opportunity to buy one at a really good price - however it would still be an expensive mistake if anything from your post has changed.
Thank you very much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom