Mares Icon HD upgrade...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zak, I am on the verge of purchasing a Mares Icon unit. However I would like to have an estimate of how much the transmitter upgrade will cost this spring.

Since there are no Mares dealers near me, would I be able to return the old unit by mail and have it replaced with a new unit and transmitter?

Thanks!

You will take your computer to any authorized dealer and pay the price difference between the Icon HD without transmitter and Icon HD with transmitter. Most transmitters alone cost between $300-$400 so I would say that this is the price we will be paying for the upgrade. They will be giving us a brand new computer and transmitter which is nice for us who have had ours for awhile and might have some scratches that we did not want.

Zak,

Can you give any type of REAL date as to the availability of the AI as well. There are people on this thread who have been waiting since 2009 and all Mares has given is a carrot on the end of a stick. Is Spring 2011 real? Is that March 2011 or June 2011. I am looking to buy a computer and while the Icon is appealing, the ability for Mares to make the AI work for the Icon (while others have done so, including other Mares products) is concerning. As is the false promisses that it will be ready in the fall.

Please be straight with us and tell us what is going on with the system and some REAL dates of release for AI.

Thank you,
Dave
Lets not all jump the gun and speculate that Spring 11 is the release date/ Im sure Zak has more things to do than to be on Scubaboard everyday answering questions that have already been answered if you search. Autmn/Fall is still on the mares website so you should plan on then until they change it. And BTW fall does not end until November so we still have plenty of time. And I think September was the month they were shooting for not August!

I'm evaluating computers now as well. I need to purchase ALL new gear. Everything.

I'm looking at the Oceanic Datamask as my primary. Transmitters for Oceanics are at $400 at LP as an example.

I realize the $500-$600 that Zak mentioned earlier is a guess...but such a price for only an xmitter is absurd. That's practically the cost of a computer, and over the cost in many cases. Now..if that cost included some form of GPS..then ok.

I like the look of the Icon. I like the features...but I'm not waiting until 2011. Well..maybe...depending on funds. But still. I like the map feature, but I'm also looking at the Navimate (if it ever comes out) which will also have GPS.

I will have better understanding of pricing within the next couple of days. I hope to be able to inform everyone with more information shortly.. Stay tuned.

Zak

Excited about this product Zak! Please keep this forum updated with details as they progress about the availability of the AI as well as the exact upgrade cost. :D

Zak, can you tell me which date for the AI upgrade is correct if you go to one page on the Mares web site Mares - just add water it is still showing "Autumn 2010" and if you go to this page Mares - just add water it shows "Spring 2011" which is correct or is the factory just as confused as all of us current owners are about whats happening on the upgrade?

While I am not trying to jump the gun, Mares has not been too accurate with its projection dates, starting with Autum 2009! You are right that the site does say Autum 2010 and that is until November, however as others have seen and pointed out there is now a projection of Spring of 2011 on another of Mares own sites...that is March 2011. Big difference. Since they have been putting out dates and missing the dates, I am trying to get a REAL date with some realisitic information.

You probably wont get a real answer. You will just have to wait it out like the rest of us. I would sit back and wait until you see a month rather than a season on there website as the release date. Mares knows the thousands of people who have bought there Icon HD is wanting the transmitter and I am sure they are busting there ass to get it done. It does not bother me to just keep using my external pressure gauge until then.

Dear all,

Here is the (straight) answer; (by the way, all of my posts and answers have been straight and as accurate as possible). I see no advantage to put in writing something that is not truthful (think about it).

The Icon HD upgrade is now scheduled for "spring 2011" as the website states (the N.American site has been updated). I will give a more precise date as we get closer, I understand many of you want to know exactly.

• The tooling and mold for the transmitter is complete.
  • The transmitter electronically is mostly complete and in testing phase.
  • The delay is strictly a development issue
  • We will have some functioning prototypes for our dealers to try and sample within the next couple of months
  • Total upgrade cost to a consumer with prepurchased Icon HD is $450.00 U.S.
  • Consumer will get a new Icon HD computer with transmitter at point of upgrade
  • I also have some nice news that will apply to this computer as well as our other computers. I am not at liberty to announce today. We will let all know at DEMA.
I hope this helps to clear things up from our side.

Warm regards to all,

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom