Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I downloaded the software from the Mares website, but will check for updates to both it and the firmware. Hopefully that corrects the issue.

Hey Zak!

Hoping you can help with this...I had updated my Icon HD to the latest firmware in the fall, and just downloaded the new Dive Organizer.

However, the Dive Organizer software doesn't seem to be recognizing that the Icon is plugged into my computer USB now, so I'm unable to download my logbook, etc.

With the Dive Organizer running, my ICON has the "PC" screen up with the USB symbol indicating it's connecting to the computer. However in the D.O. software under the ICON HD menu, none of the menu options such as Download Logbook, Upload maps, Format Flash, Firmware update are selectable. Only the Interface Settings option is selectable.

When I click on that, it asks me to activate "Drak Drivers" and then to reboot the computer. Even when I do so, and restart the Dive Organizer, it still doesn't seem to be picking up the Icon.

Any idea what else I can do here to resolve this?

Thanks!

Hey Zak!

Hoping you can help with this...I had updated my Icon HD to the latest firmware in the fall, and just downloaded the new Dive Organizer.

I had to uninstall and re-install for it to work. Hope this helps.

I had to uninstall and re-install for it to work. Hope this helps.

I tried that too last night, but after reinstalling the Dive Organizer still didn't seem to pick up that the Icon was connected. :(

Zak

Any comment/input relative to my simple post of Jan. 13?

Perhaps you could supply Mares' official definition of "Spring". In the US, I believe the first day of Spring is March 20 and the first day of Summer is June 21.

If you go to Mares main web site (not the HD Icon site) and drill down to "wrist computers" under their products tabs, you will find the unit. You will note that Mares represents that the unit is air integrated. [It is the first pictotogram.]

Only when you click on "Details and Tech Info" does Mares state the "upgrade" will be available "from spring 2011."

Again, I think it is fair to assume you have divers/customers that are buying a unit based on a representation that it is "air integrated" unit or at least it will be sometime in "from spring 2011" - much like I and others did in 2009.

Finally, I have noticed that the pricing has slipped $200 to $300 on the unit at the major on-line retailers.

So - in addition to a realistic timing of the release of the transmitter/new unit - what is the expected cost of the transmitter?

I too wondered if there was any update on when AI unit might be available (I am currently considering this unit, the Galileo Sol, and the Uemis Zurich) and want to know if it is worth waiting.

Also, with the Air Integrated models are you going to be able to monitor multiple recievers?

Spartan - Thanks. Back in 2009, I only asked the retailers - who were only parroting what was told to them.

Relative to your other unit suggestions, I have been wet with the Sol (as a buddy owns one). Nice unit. We also just got our hands on u-Zurich. Although I have not dove with it yet, the screen is "real" easy to read and navigate. [As I have actually communicated with the uZ folks (by e-mail) and spoken with states-side representative, I have some personal concerns about product support. It does NOT have a compass, although that issue probably deserves its own discussion. It is supposedly getting a Trimix upgrade this year.]

You should look at the Oceanic VT3. No color - but otherwise a very solid computer. [Most of my students end up with a Oceanic - so I am a big fan.] Go OC1 if you want the compass - but understand it has a small computer "face". If you want color (really sweet color) and do not mind a hose/console style computer, look at the new Atomic Cobalt. A friend picked one up before his Bonaire trip and he returned extremely happy with the unit.

Relative to the Icon, the unit is real nice. It has room for improvement and could be "great" (notwithstanding the AI issue). Like you, I am just looking for a straight answer.

I am beginning to think that it is not a "technical issue" but a "intellectual property issue." Think about it.

Does Mares even produce/market a "wireless (or hoseless) air integrated" dive computer? Perhaps Mares does not want to pay licensing/royalty fees.... ??

That would be a great piece of information for you (and I and others).

As stated in my first post, this is my first Mares product (in the last 10 years). [I may have owned a wetsuit and maybe a set of fins or a mask many years ago.]

Spartan

Arrgggh. This is what happens when I begin to "think" (i.e. speculate). Following my post, I asked Mr. Google "mares patent air integration computer" and he said:

"The omission of a gas-integration transmitter facility on the Icon HD is due to be fixed early this year, as soon as patent-holders are satisfied, with an Internet upgrade for the wrist unit." [Emphasis added.]

This was taken from an archived article on Divernet. Obviously, I do not know the author's source.

We know that the issue will not be corrected with an internet upgrade, as Mares has already stated that current owners will have to turn in our old units for a new one and "pay for the transmitter." - But the comment about "patent-holders" does make you think that Mares itself has no idea when the transmitter will be released. In sum, go ask our lawyers......

I just talked with a rep from Mares the upgrade will not read you Buddys air! He also said it will be Mar/Apr before it is out.

Back
Top Bottom