Mares Icon: Inflator leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
All,
I'm about to buy the Mares Icon BC BUT, some shops mention that the new inflator system which is used in Mares Icon BC will have high tendency to leak after even after 10 dives. This will be my first BC and i don't want to have "wrong" impression on Mares product (While other gears e.g. fin, reg from Mares work just fine for me)

Anyone with any input, kindly advise (esp. Mares representative)
Thank you so much.

Arndell

Now, I'm assuming you don't mean the AirTrim system here. I've had a few of the ergo style of inflator (older and newest models) on a Kaila and V1000. Other than normal o-ring wear or valve issues in salt water I've only had one 'problem' in about 50-70 dives each.

Due to either heat or something dropping on the inflator, the plastic housing/body deformed slightly (it looked fine) on the V1000 and the o-ring on the power inflator button (the red one in the middle) would not seal completely. This resulted in an annoying 'dribble' of air.

It was fixed by using a slightly thicker o-ring (and I do mean *slightly* as in a hair or two) and no more issue.

One thing I do like about this style of inflator (over the style you see on Zeagles, etc) is it seems (for me) easier to manipulate in heavy gloves (5mm neo). I think it has to do with the short distance between the inflator and deflator buttons.

Arndell,

You have a good question. Apprx 3 years ago we changed our inflator mechanism from a schraeder valve to a ball and seat type system. Schrader valves are most commonly used in most bcds. They have their own set of issues. Sensitive to debris, salt build up etc. It doesn't matter whose inflator valve it is, eventually it will corrode or leak. I used to work on a live aboard dive boat and I've seen them all do it at one point or another.

We feel our new system is in fact better than the old. It has a greater sealing surface, is not manufactured in the millions (quality control can be hard at that volume), and is mechanically a little more simple. This all leads to greater reliability in our opinion. This system is used in all of our bcd's and I haven't heard any complaints about an excessive amount of leaking inflators. I think you can purchase the Icon with confidence. Thanks for your support on the other Mares products you own. I'm sure you'll be just as satisfied with the Icon.

Sincerely,

Hi DarkCofffee and Zak,
Appreciate your input. So i have my conclusion, i hope to enjoy the my ICON BC on my liveaboard trip next week.

Thank you very much.
Arndell

It is amazing how small the Icons pack!

My inflator has never leaked but I did have a tear in the inner part of the bladder. Mares replaced it no questions asked.

Just got back from 4 days of diving in Roatan and used my Ikon for the first time. It is a great upgrade and update from my 15 year old Mares Souther Exposure jacket style BCD that never really fit right anyway (it is still going strong in Cuba where I gave it away last Dec.). The fit and comfort were very good, the integrated weighting and trim weights worked well, no problems tilting forward on the surface. The thing packs down amazingly small and although it only has the one roll down pocket I managed quite well. The rear dump valve was a challenge to locate at first as it tends to hide behind the air cell but over time it became easier to find. I found the buckle and padding system of the harness to be very comfortable on my aging spine and the D rings were great for the minimal hanging of gear and securing my Airlab across the front. I went with a Medium despite my mammoth 5'10" 200lb frame (lol) and it was the right choice given my dimensions (44" chest with a 34" waist) as there was plenty of adjustment up or down in the buckles.
For the price and the features I think it's a pretty good value.
Now I did notice the manual that came with the BCD is for a different model but the BCD is easy to figure out as the inflator and dump valves seem pretty standard.
If anyone has the correct manual and has noticed anything of import to pass along or if the fine Mares Reps on the board have anything to add...I'd be open to hearing from you. Thanks for yet another great product!

Zak,
I know this is an old post but I want to know if you still "feel our new system is in fact better than the old"? I've had a Mares Vectors for 15+ years with no issues. I recently purchased Mares Pr1me BCDs because I wanted my guests the convenience of integrated weights. It may have been the first dive, but certainly after 2 or 3 dives the inflator began to leak to the point that I would puff up like Veruca Salt in the Willy Wonka movie and shoot up to the surface.
I took apart both inflators and found my old one was a Shrader style and the new one (which leaks) is the new style. The Sharder is easily field serviceable with a valve tool from the auto parts store, I can replace it in less than a minute. The new system appears to be not replaceable, am I wrong?
We often find ourselves in remote areas where the local dive shop can be miles away and therefore spare parts and field serviceability are critical to us.
Based on my experience, your old system worked fine and is easily repairable and your new system is error prone and is disposable. Thoughts?

-Boca Rich

2018, it's been a few months since we began working with the Prime BCDs and i don't know how many times we had to service the ERGO power inflator. That ball-o'ring system is a headache. The schradder system worked way better, you just needed to take it into service from time to time AND make sure to rinse/clean it and no problems for a long time. I was just thinking on who would've come up with that "improvement"? Got rid of the problem exchanging the chamber that holds the valve with the chamber that has the old schradder valve version and the power inflator button of some broken BCDs we had. It fits perfectly, jus had to make sure to replace the o'rings of the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom