Mares Instinct 15x, any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlmightyApkallu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. I do hope I'm asking this in the right place. Looking for some permanent gear for the missus who was certified not too long ago and is doing fantastic in the underworld so far. We already have a good BC and computer console setup, now we're just looking for a good reg set and I'm on a budget.

I found this which looks like a really great deal. I like the fact that the hose is braided, the reg is lightweight, it has a side exhaust valve, it is balanced on both the 1st and 2nd stage and just seems to be from what I've read a good solid reg.

I was reading a review on google though where some one claims they got a "defective one" and that when they breathed in they sucked in a mouth full of water, this was on the first dive in a training pool... Of course the person cursed Mares to hell and back and said they would never buy a Mares product again... I personally like Mares. I know they are not the #1 brand in the world but most of their gear from my experience and what I've heard is not bad at all.

It fits the bill as a Reg/Octo combo for under $300ish (my price range) and everything else seems great about it, it's just that the one review has me spooked. So what do you folks think? Has anyone heard of these or used them?

Thanks for any help!

This should be in the Regulator forum, but here's my 2 cents.

Mares makes a good product....anything can and will fail at one point or another.

There are some great deals coming up for Black Friday....check with leisure pro, prime scuba and or dive rite web sites and see what's selling.

I saw the Hollis 312 with hose Octo on LP for $99.00! That's a great price.

If you like the Mares, buy them....give them a go in a pool prior to vacation if possible. Check the return policy if you have any resevation.

Thanks for the reply, Flyboy.

That was my thoughts, it sounded like a majorly defective product and as soon as it hit about 10 feet down it gave out. I'm guessing with something that defective you'll probably find out sooner than later and in my opinion that could have happened with the best, most expensive thing you buy. Things just, can be defective some times I guess?

As far as deals go, we got her a Mares Hybrid Pure back inflate BC which normally goes for around $400 bucks for $250... Also got the Mares puck console with the computer, pressure gauge and compass for just $275, I know those are usually also around $400ish or so. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on those, what do you folks think?

As far as black friday scuba deals, I've looked for them and haven't seen much yet... Where are you finding them at? The Mares instinct package I linked in the OP claims it's a DiversDirect black friday deal... That's why I'm thinking of jumping on it pretty quick, for what it is it seems like a pretty good deal.

There is a Hot Deals forum here....id mosey there for a look see....Apeks from Dive Right looking juicy.

BF dealers will be popping up daily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom