Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracy_from_oz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys.

I noticed Larry @ scuba toys has a Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD on sale.
I am wondering is there a difference between this bcd and the The Mares Dragon AT (Air Trim), in regards to:

Trim Weights holding up to 4.5kg/10lbs total.
Elastic cummerbund.
Neoprene padded collar, interior plush lined.
Shoulder straps to relieve pressure on the shoulders.
Adjustable chest strap
Dual position hose clip for your gauge.
Twin exhaust valve
MRS Plus
Valves: Twin Exhaust Valve System and Two rear quick dump/over-expansion relief valves
Special characteristics: Two rear quick dump/over-expansion relief valves

If anyone has used this bcd would love to know your opinion.

Thanks.

Tracy,

You may want to post this over in the Bouyancy forum. I think you might get more feedback from Morphos owners / users. You also may get some brow beating as their is a very large bp/w contingency on this board. Many frown on the A/Trim technology. I think primarily because they haven't used it. I cant remember how many times I've heard from someone thats tried it or switched "I don't know why I'd ever go back". I'm simply saying keep an open mind about what response you get back.

Yes there are big differences between the BC's in question. Dragon is a "jacket" style bcd, Morphos is a hybrid, mostly back inflate, with a little on the sides. We call it armchair flotation. Otherwise all of the bells and whistles are primarily the same. Dragon uses our new MRS Plus weight system (ditchable weights). I think this system is better, but if its a good price I'm sure the old weight system will do fine; it has for many in the past. Plus you'll be getting a bcd from a limited production of only 2000 worldwide.:D

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Hi Zak

I will check out the Bouyancy forum as suggested.

I have the dragon AT, I got it instead of the HUB and I love the AT technology. It is pretty easy to use, just a couple practice dives in the pool and all set. I think sometimes people just do not want to embrace new technology and something that will make life a little easier because they would have to spend some time learning.

I was actually looking at the Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD to have a second bcd around and the price is quite good.

So basically the only difference is the Dragon AT has the ditchable weights and the weights that can be put into the back of the bcd (trim weights), and the Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD doesnt have either of these?

I used a Mares Vector 1000AT Air Trim for several seasons and really liked it....well constructed and easy to use...reliable and great rec. BCD.

Tracy, the Morphos does have ditchable weights. They are just the older style. It does have trim/non ditchable weight pockets as well. It is a great BCD! Don't worry. It will be one very nice 2nd bc. You may find yourself switching back and forth for kicks.

Best,

Hi Zak,

I really like this one so I am thinking I will pretty much order it.

Like all the good mares gear I love, none of it is available down here for some reason or is a special order into the country.

I guess this shows why I think internet sales are good lol.

Thanks again for all the help Zak.

Glad to see you like the ATrim as well Texdiveguy. I like it as well and think it is quite easy to use, I am however just still trying to figure out if one can put a scuba alert onto it.

Tracey, I was just asking myself the same question! Can I fit a horn system onto the airtrim connector for signaling? I've got about 25 dives on my Morphos pro with airtrim and I just love it. Won't be going back to a regular hose unless I have to. But so far, the system works great!

Luego!

You should have no problem putting an siren signaling device on the airtrim. It uses the same connector as the standard inflator system.

Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom