Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, we'll here's the deal... Can you put one on? Yes. But.... With a surface signaling device like a dive alert - you have to hold it above the water to have it signal. Attached to your waist - this would not be possible. So what you would do is have to unhook the inflator hose from the air trim (which the dive alert could already be on) and then hold it up above the water line. Now the BC's with the air trim system have a way to route the hose through the bc, and if you do that, again, you would probably not be able to get it up high enough out of the water to function - so I would say you have 2 options. 1 is don't route the hose through the bc, leave it on the outside with the dive alert hooked up, then unclip, hold it up and hit the button when you need it at the surface. You will already be inflated, and won't really need to hook it back up - so that would work out fine.

or 2, the other option, and an option I have used for several different uses in my diving, is run an extra inflator hose. They are only about $19 - and you should have plenty of spare ports (unless diving dry) and velcro the extra hose somewhere, pull it off when you want to use it. This way you can also carry one of those rubber filler type things for air lift bags or whatever...

Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks for the insight Larry! That makes lots of sense... Actually, I think I misinterpreted what I was thinking about in my earlier post. What I was actually interested in was a underwater signaling device! On my last dive trip, the DM had a "honker" for signaling underwater when he found something... I mistakenly thought this was the same as the surface signaling device! Do you have any idea of what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your help?

Ok then... a honker is no problem on there... You can leave it hooked up and get it to point in the right direction... may have to twist a bit in the water to point it where you want to go... but these will work: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Hammerhead1

Yeah, thats what I was thinking of.

Luego!:coffee:

I think I'm going to buy one of these for my brother for Christmas. Anyone know where I can find a size chart? I couldn't find one on the Mares website.

Thanks!

Ok, been gone from the message board for a long time. I bought this BCD from Scuba Toys. I love it. Its probably far more than what I need, especially for diving in tropical water, but its by far the most comfortably BC I've used. I'm also a big fan of the air trim system. My only issues is that the the limited edition has Mares older weight system. They weights can be hard to secure and you need to be very careful with putting them in. Otherwise outstanding BC, and a great value from Scuba Toys.

I don't personally like this kind of BCD, but you could still use a surface honker with it. Just float on your back.

I just got my brother's in today. It's definitely an interesting piece of hardware. I've never used an AirTrim myself, but looking this one over it seems like a quality BC, and it fits great on (I couldn't resist trying it myself!).

I too just got this BC in the mail from Scubatoys. (great service!) This thing is huge to me. I ordered a Medium since I fit other Mares BC's in an M size (6 ft 2, 180 lbs, 42 inch chest, 33 inch waist). But the aircell that wraps around seems on the big side. Is is just supposed to hang loose at the waist like it does when there's hardly any air in it? I thought it'd fit a bit snugger. Just wondering if it's supposed to be so loose. I can't imagine someone my size needing a small and I hate the thought of theaircell just flapping around creating a ton of drag. Any insights? Hope I've given enough info.

Hi Cummje,
mine is also a medium (I'm 6ft, 185 lbs) and feels a bit loose when deflated at the surface. But once inflated and in the water, it's fine for me. Sometimes I need to readjust a bit (shoulder straps, and velcro waist band) once I'm in, because I fastened it with air still in the bladder. But this is easy to do and not a problem.

I was wondering if this might be due to it being a hybrid "back inflate" type BCD??? It wouldn't fit exactly the same way?

I think you should be fine once slightly inflated. But if in doubt, give Larry a call! He seems to be a very helpfull guy and could give you some insight!

Just trying to help!

Back
Top Bottom