Mares Prestige 15X regulator failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My regulator is still under warranty (purchased less than 12 months ago). In between dives today it started free flowing out of the side of the first stage body (above the ports). What the heck? I am sending it back but do any of you have an idea as to what caused this? Glad it did not happen when I was on the Adolphus Busch the previous day.

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

In between dives today it started free flowing out of the side of the first stage body (above the ports).

You mean leaking air? A picture with a marking showing where the air coming out from will be most helpful.

You mean leaking air? A picture with a marking showing where the air coming out from will be most helpful.

Yes, but not a leak—rushing out. The dive master came over because the rushing air was loud...looked for the source—above the hoses in the body. Will try to create a photo.

oring issue most likely

Nope. Not the ring. The side of the first stage body. DM checked. Could put his thumb over the air rushing out.

Nope. Not the ring. The side of the first stage body. DM checked. Could put his thumb over the air rushing out.

Can't picture it, I have searched for a picture of the regulator and can't figure out where the air would come out of except, perhaps, the first stage diaphragm blew for some reason.

C996E6C5-4183-4C2B-809C-85C9F5D708D3.jpeg
See the black area on the side above the silver? Air rushed out there.

So if it is indeed the diaphragm clamp that sits under that plastic trim dome, then inadequate torque on the diaphragm would indeed cause a rush of air.
An annual service will take care of it, assuming no parts flaws from the factory. But don't let the shop just "tighten down on the diaphragm." Make sure you get a new one.
Sad to say, this stuff happens.
Find a Mares shop, not just a shop.

My multi-thousand $ rebreather arrived with a leaking loop valve from excess lubricant holding a mushroom valve open, AND a counterlung leak because the factory insists on shipping from Denmark fully assembled. The lung got pinched in all the jostling during transport.
But both were quick fixes for a shop that knows its stuff.
Sadly that's not often the case these days. Its almost less expensive to buy a complete new set from Deep6 than to have a major overhaul service and a few new parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom