Mares Proton Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coco2003

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone knows the difference between the Proton V42 and Proton 42?

The V42 Proton used the original version of the 42 first stage. This design used the SCS (Spherical Core Seal) system. The SCS used a poppet that was entirely metal, and it sealed against a small, donut shaped, soft seal. The 42, along with all of Mares other current diaphragm first stages, uses a tri-material HP poppet that has the soft sealing surface on its end. It seals against a metal orifice that resembles a volcano.

The 42, due to its small size, uses a smaller tri-material HP valve than that of the other regs using the current system. All other diaphragm regs use the same HP components.

I own one of the V42 Proton Metal regs. It has become my favorite modern reg to use for single tank diving. Here is a picture of me using mine on a recent ice dive.

P1011046.jpg

Well, thanks a lot. So the V42 is the older version. I read in the Mares website that the 42 is not compatible with nitrox, is that right? Also the metal poppet in the SCS is the one that replaced the ruby?

I just came from diviers direct and they didn't had any idea of the difference between the 2 regulators but I saw the 1st stage and is about 30% smaller than my ruby, I like that regulator. The fact that it should not be used with nitrox and the rigidity of the hose with the 2nd stage has me undecided though I like what I saw.

Coco, the "not compatible with Nitrox" is just there for liability reasons for the european market. In the US and Canada, they are considered to be safe for Nitrox up to 40%. Above that, you need to have it Nitrox cleaned and O-rings replaced. So for recreational Nitrox use, no problem. For Tech diving above that, have them Oxygen cleaned.

Hope this helps!

Well, thanks a lot. So the V42 is the older version. I read in the Mares website that the 42 is not compatible with nitrox, is that right? Also the metal poppet in the SCS is the one that replaced the ruby?

I just came from diviers direct and they didn't had any idea of the difference between the 2 regulators but I saw the 1st stage and is about 30% smaller than my ruby, I like that regulator. The fact that it should not be used with nitrox and the rigidity of the hose with the 2nd stage has me undecided though I like what I saw.

Codman is correct about the Nitrox issue. The European Union has very stringent regulations concerning the use of Nitrox. There is even a dedicated EAN DIN valve assembly that is not compatible with the standard 200 and 300bar valve fittings that divers in the USA are familiar with.

Every Mares reg now sold in the USA is perfectly safe for EAN mixes up to 40%.

Yes, the metal poppet in the SCS system replaced the Ruby version. The Ruby was just too hard, and it caused more rapid wear of the considerably softer sealing surface. Titanium was used in many of the early versions, but due to issues with adiabatic pressures it was deemed not suitable. The titanium part worked very well due to its low weight, but the typical Ti alloys used in first stage parts have a considerably lower flash point than chrome plated naval brass. If Ti ignites, it can burn in much the same fashion as magnesium. This is the same reason why Atomic Aquatics uses the stainless alloy Monel in the first stage designed for high F02 mixes.

If you don't care for the LP hose, simply replace it with a new Miflex version. I have heard nothing but positive reports about them.

Greg Barlow

Thanks a lot for the information. Anyhow I wont be using 40% nitrox perhaps 32 and 36. I will just have to make sure that that my warranty is not affeced. I was also told today to replace the lp hose as you said, which I will do. Look at your picture and you can see the 2nd stage taking a right turn, that's what I mean. Also, since I am new in this forum, where can you post items to sell, like my ruby which is in excellent conditions? Let me know. Again thanks.

coco2003,

In the manual, it states that the Reg can be used up to 40% out of the box. There are different "warnings" in there for North America and EU. The one for NA is relevant, the Reg is the same but each statement of use must follow the regional laws.

Most Mares regs for 2009 (expect entry models) will come with Superflex hose as standard equipment. This is a running change, so as each dealer rotates their stock, new stock will start to arrive shortly. We will also have these as replacement hoses also. Aside from slightly different testing standards, the Mares hose will also come with our new hose protecters already assembled.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks for the info Phil. Any idea who is selling in Florida the new regulator, I know it is a tough question but everyone will want to sell their older models first.

Thanks,

Coco

Back
Top Bottom