Mares Quad 10ft v 20ft stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about getting a Mares Quad. From the manual, although hard to tell, it looks like the computer wants you to spend most of your deco stop at 10 feet. What does the computer do if you want to spend the stop at 20 feet?

I know there has been a fair amount of discussion about 10ft v 20ft stops -- the Navy Dive Manual has 20ft stops, right?

Not actually planning on ever going into deco, but after having some dives where NDLs got into the single digits, I pulled out my current computer manual (i300) just to read again what the computer did if I blew it and went over a few minutes. Easy enough to understand what the computer wants you to do in that situation, but not a lot of explanation or theory there. Not much in the Quad manual either along those lines either. Made me curious.

Mainly interested in the bigger screen.

The Quad tells you to stop at 10 ft for deco, but its accepted window is 10-15ft. Were you to spend your time at 20 feet, based on what I've seen with the Asc +5 function, it would work just fine and would reduce your deco obligation accordingly, just probably not as quickly as within the 10-15 ft window. My guess is that it would clear once you satisfied the algorithm and not force you to also stop at 10 ft, but I follow its recommendations and so haven't encountered this. I have only used it for deco dives at altitude, not at sea level, which could also be affecting the stop depths it gives me. It uses RGBM with proprietary tweaks, so it's hard to know precisely what's going on under the hood, but it seems to skew toward the conservative side of things.

Thanks-- very helpful.

What is wrong with i300?
I will stay away from ANY computer using RGBM!

Nothing is wrong with the i300. It has worked quite well for me. Partly just looking at new toys, and partly just like the Quad display. I would like to have temp on main screen, for example. Also, while i am not planning on deco diving, the i300 is set up to get you moving up immediately upon entry into deco, instead of being designed for it. Not a bad thing to have the computer scolding you maybe, but that's sort of what it looks like.

Why the harshness for RGBM? I guess I have seen some of the conservatism discussions, but is there something else?

Plenty of info on RGMB if you care to look it up.
Buy an i100 as back up when diving!
All basic computers have algorithm to deal with simple decompression. Please read the chapter on decompression in your i300 manual.
Quad won't be any difference from i300 on deco dive!
A dedicated deco computer is completely difference.

Back
Top Bottom