Mares Rover 2S vibration/shudder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased a Mares Rover 2S 1st & 2nd stage regulator (Yoke) as my first regulator. I have been experiencing some vibration/shudder during inhaling. When I mentioned this to the store they said that "it is normal for this regulator to do that at certain depths". I wasn't able to find any similar complaints online so I am starting to assume that it is either a defect or needs to be serviced. Would really appreciate any explanations/solutions.

Thanks

Hesham

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Mares Rover 2S 1st & 2nd stage regulator (Yoke) as my first regulator. I have been experiencing some vibration/shudder during inhaling. When I mentioned this to the store they said that "it is normal for this regulator to do that at certain depths". I wasn't able to find any similar complaints online so I am starting to assume that it is either a defect or needs to be serviced. Would really appreciate any explanations/solutions.

Thanks

Hesham

It shouldn't do that. (I was going to write some other stuff. Now I just need to wait for my tongue to stop bleeding.)

I haven’t worked on a Rover recently, but Probably needs adjusting or servicing.
... this is happening on dives, not on the surface when dry, right?
Is it the original Mares mouthpieces? On very rare occasions I have seen a mouthpiece change cause odd issues by altering airflow.

Yes on dives. And the mouthpiece is not the stock one, fixed the Mares Jax mouldable mouthpiece on it (had to heat up the connector end of the mouthpiece to get it to fit onto the second stage). The vibration isn't continuous, but happens few times during each dive.

HI, I've had the same model for 3 years and always had the occasional shudder, even after servicing. Its never caused any problem for 200 so dives.

Do you remember if it happens when deeper and/or lower on air? Unbalanced piston IP will decrease then, could be part of the issue.

There never has been any pattern to it, can happen when shallow or deeper and high or low pressure. I Can go many dives with no issue then just the occasional shudder, the airflow never seemingly affected, so iv just put it down as an unknown.

Shuttering or harmonics comes down to tuning or a quality of the spring tension. It's not a worry to the diver in terms of air flow, but just an annoyance.

Harmonics is just some part that creates enough tension or gap to created a shuttering or whistle when air flow passes. Obviously effected by variabilities of temp, flow rate (ie. diver demand), tank pressure etc to the point that you're going to have a hard time creating some consistency to when it appears.

It can happen most commonly in 2nd stages and sometimes rarely 1st stages. For 2nd stages usually the orifice and poppet spring is just the right amount of tight that it rattles to the point of humming when air is passed through. The orifice and poppet spring tension are usually the only 2 parts of a 2nd stage that a tech adjusts to give you an easy breathing 2nd stage.

Think of it like whistling using a blade of grass between your hands. When you get the blade to wiggle at the right frequency, it will hum. Adjusting a combo of the two usually gets rid of it.

For 1st stages, the rare times I've heard it happening it usually was a "quality" issue with the spring. Most commonly in piston stages. MFG's usually send a new spring to fix the issue. This though rarely happens and usually it's covered under warranty because they understand harmonics are annoying.

Thank you for the elaborate explanation. The dive shop asked me to bring it in to check it out. ScubaBoard is now a more reliable source than "qualified" technicians. :clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom