Mares V32 Proton ICE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one, it's my first Regulator but I haven't gone diving with it yet. I'm always working in the Sport Chalet SCUBA shop instead. It seems to have high quality features, including an all metal body and a completely sealed 1st stage.

I am also looking at one of these. I looked on mares web site to see if it can do nitrox, but could not find it. does anyone know if it will?

crum once bubbled...
I am also looking at one of these. I looked on mares web site to see if it can do nitrox, but could not find it. does anyone know if it will?

Just about any reg out there can do up to 40% O2 Nitrox out of the box. Anything beyond that, have your LDS O2 clean the reg and replace the o-rings... If it had some titanium parts, there might be cause for concern that it wasn't Nitrox compatible, but the V32 doesn't have an Titanium parts (HP seat is stainless, body is brass, etc.)

If you're set on Mares....forget the Proton Ice and the V32....pony up the extra bucks and get the Abyss 1st stage with the MR22 second stage. You won't be sorry. My buddy, a certified Mares tech, and I service our own regs being cavers and have found that Mares has SIGNIFICANTLY cheapened the product in the name of marketing.

It's your money, but we recommend NOTHING below the Abyss first stage and MR22 for the second.

The V16 is a decent first stage, BUT you can't get the MR22 second stage with it anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

Diver Lori once bubbled...
If you're set on Mares....forget the Proton Ice and the V32....pony up the extra bucks and get the Abyss 1st stage with the MR22 second stage. You won't be sorry. My buddy, a certified Mares tech, and I service our own regs being cavers and have found that Mares has SIGNIFICANTLY cheapened the product in the name of marketing.
Mares is selling the MR22 Abyss a good bit cheaper than the V32 Proton Ice, are you sure you're thinking of the correct reg? I've looked at the Mr22 and the V32, and with the exception of the some minor differences (technopolymer on the body), the only other difference seems to be the addition of the SCS HP seat to the V32 - which in my mind is a good thing, as I'd recommend having it done to an MR22 if you've got one... Otherwise, the MR22 and V32 first stages seem to be just about the same thing... Personally, the V32 looks to me like a pretty top notch first and a slight improvement on the Mr22...

The seconds are certainly different in size and construction, but the mechanism and design looks pretty similar in both the Abyss second and the Proton ICE second, albeit the Ice is a smaller second. What specifically are the shortcomings and problems?

It's your money, but we recommend NOTHING below the Abyss first stage and MR22 for the second.

The V16 is a decent first stage, BUT you can't get the MR22 second stage with it anymore.
You've got those flopped, the Abyss is the second, the MR22 is the first. In terms of a V16 with a MR22, do you mean the Orbiter (same as Abyss second, different faceplate) V16 that they used to sell?

Anyways, let me know what you've found, I'd really be interested to know...

BTW - I grew up in Dayton, where are you at?

Mares is selling the MR22 Abyss a good bit cheaper than the V32 Proton Ice, are you sure you're thinking of the correct reg?

Yes, true. He's got a V32 and he's had some intermediate pressure problems with it and is watching it....significant fluctuations depending on tank pressure....which should NOT happen. The Proton 2nd stage and the Ice 2nd stage leave alot to be desired in our opinion.

the only other difference seems to be the addition of the SCS HP seat to the V32 - which in my mind is a good thing, as I'd recommend having it done to an MR22 if you've got one...

We have contemplated doing this to our Abyss regs, but have not done so as of yet.

Personally, the V32 looks to me like a pretty top notch first and a slight improvement on the Mr22...

Well....yeah, I'll let you know after we watch it for awhile. But, with the Proton Ice.....no way. I breathed that sucker last weekend and I'll take the Abyss/Orbiter 2nd any day of the week!

The seconds are certainly different in size and construction, but the mechanism and design looks pretty similar in both the Abyss second and the Proton ICE second, albeit the Ice is a smaller second. What specifically are the shortcomings and problems?

Yes, you are right. But being smaller is the problem we found. We found the smaller size uncomfortable to breathe due to the venturi effect of the velocity of air coming into your mouth. The Abyss just seems to be smoother and more comfortable breather. The tube angle on the Proton causes a very uncomfortable jet of air into your mouth. It may look good on the breathing machine, but we found overall comfort lacking.

You've got those flopped, the Abyss is the second, the MR22 is the first. In terms of a V16 with a MR22, do you mean the Orbiter (same as Abyss second, different faceplate) V16 that they used to sell?

Yes, you've got me on that one. I do have them flopped. I've got two Abyss firsts with Abyss seconds; and a V16 with Orbiter 2nd.

Have you breathed both the Abyss/Orbiter and the Proton Ice? IF not, try them.

But...lastly....the Proton Ice just looks kinda dumb. Pretty blue regulator....gimme a break.....goes nice with pink gear! :boom:

I had the pleasure of taking one of these babies V32 and an ICE to 180ft the other day, and let me tell you it breathes like heaven on a stick.

Had it up against a MR22 and Abyss on my bungee that was like a sad old dog in comparison

I have had the chance to breath air off a few regs. I own a Mares V32 Proton Ice. I was down at 160 feet the other day. I was happy to breath all the air I wanted off my reg.

It was only slightly harder to "suck" air out of my tank from the ICE then from the Reg my Dive Buddy was using, the Mares Ruby, fresh from being re-worked. That dive buddy Deco Dives and was "impressed" on the way it breathed. We exchanged Regs just to see the difference. I was pleased to see that my $300+ Reg provided air close to the same as a much more expensive Reg.

Just my thoughts.

Missileman

Back
Top Bottom