Marico Oog Video - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video Fires

Thanks bud!! Appreciate the feedback :)

Bliksem. That is is the middle of nowhere! Nice spot though.

Its really a beautiful spot. Tiny, but incredible. And yeah, middle of nowhere :D Which is perfect to get away from the city for the weekend. I think last time it cost no more than R1000 - $70 for petrol, food, camping fees etc. all in! I think it might have even been less. Can't remember exactly, but obviously dependent on how crazy you go with the food and drinks.

The actual places fees are: $11 per day, per person (to camp) and a once off $1.5 per vehicle. So like $25 for the weekend excl. food, petrol etc.

Never been to South Africa - at this junction of life will probably never travel there.

I became aware of South Africa in grad school - via several of my SA friends

Then I saw the movie "Zulu" not once but several times - What a great movie !

Then I purchased the book "Washing of the Spears " which I still have in my library

Then I subscribed to a SA pictorial magazine

But in all the world traveling - never to South Africa

Your well made almost professional delightful movie make me now ask
Why didn't we visit South Africa ?

Keep up the great work and keep on posting your movies

They are appreciated

Sam Miller, 111

Thank you very much for the great and positive feedback!! Its really appreciated :) I am working on a Mozambique video that I shot in April. Still waiting for some underwater footage, but will hopefully post that up before the end of the year.

If you ever even have the slightest thought to come here, let me know and I can help set up some diving to the likes of whatever you want. South Africa really is a truly beautiful place, both in diving and everything else. And generally quite "cheap" for overseas people coming with a stronger currency.

I have dived a fair amount of places in the world, not everywhere, but some and still to this day prefer Sodwana bay over anything else I have seen. Apparently we have more organisms, fish, lively things or whatever you want to call it on the reefs in sodwana compared to the great barrier reef. Something like that. Don't quote me, but there is a stat.

We have starting from bottom (west&south) to top (east and north):

Cape Town: Beautiful cold dives with seals, kelp forests and seven gilled cow sharks (dinosaur shark :yeahbaby:)
Protea Banks: Big life capital, with all the sharks and pelagics you can imagine.
Aliwal: A mix of protea banks and reef with tons of raggies and all sorts of other stuff.
Durban: Deep wrecks and wrecks in general
Sodwana Bay: Reefs and life for days as well as deeper dives. You can see all sorts and really is one of my favourite places to dive. It's incredibly beautiful and diverse. There is a long reef system that runs along the coast and is marked as per the distance that it is from the lighthouse. So we have things like 2 mile (which has maybe 15-20 dive sites on it) and it goes all the way to 9 mile.
Rocktail Bay: Like Sodwana on steroids, just up north from Sodwana.
And then just over the border: Mozam -> Ponta du Oura
Oh and inland - plenty dark and deep spots for tech diving. Sodwana Bay also has the deep dives where the guys see the coelacanths if they are lucky.

So there is PLENTY here :D

When I was young (and flexible), I dived CT at least 100 dives/yr. Been to Sodwana and Mozambique too. Fantastic diving. Now I am older (and more spoiled), I would never even consider doing some of those entries/re-entries. I’m just no longer interested in holding onto a rope in the middle of a rubber duck while bouncing up and down holding on for dear life. My gammy knee would never survive.

I go back to SA every two years but no longer to dive. Plenty there but a young diver’s paradise...

When I was young (and flexible), I dived CT at least 100 dives/yr. Been to Sodwana and Mozambique too. Fantastic diving. Now I am older (and more spoiled), I would never even consider doing some of those entries/re-entries. I’m just no longer interested in holding onto a rope in the middle of a rubber duck while bouncing up and down holding on for dear life. My gammy knee would never survive.

I go back to SA every two years but no longer to dive. Plenty there but a young diver’s paradise...

Yeah we do have good surf launches here :) :D Especially Aliwal and Sodwana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom