marijuana and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that I had a similar (but not quite so protracted) discussion with a similar person after my article was published in 'Alert Diver' in March, 2001. http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm

Needless to say, we had 180 degree disagreement about the subject and since he is carrying his campaign forward, it is obvious that I didn't convince him of the dangers of diving while under the influence of cannabis.

Here is the answer that was sent in reply:
Hello ----:

To my knowledge, there are no studies on the use of marijuana and diving. The assumptions that have been made are those that a reasonable person would have to take into consideration when deciding whether or not to dive while taking the drug or when deciding whether or not to allow a person to dive while one is knowingly taking the drug.

The main active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). In 1988, it was discovered that the membranes of certain nerve cells contain protein receptors that bind THC. The short term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem-solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain

Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is processed by the hippocampus. The hippocampus is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that neurons in the information processing system of the hippocampus and the activity of the nerve fibers in this region are suppressed by THC. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate via this mechanism.

Recent research findings also indicate that long-term use of marijuana produces changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

Effects on the Lungs

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. Continuing to smoke marijuana can lead to abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke.

Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to the marijuana users' inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. These findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.

Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Effects of Marijuana and Other Drugs: Updated Summary With References
http://www2.druginfo.org/orgs/dsi/Marijuana/MarijuanaMenu.html

Here are some more references:
Babies born to mothers who use marijuana during pregnancy have an eleven-fold increase in nonlymphoblastic leukemia. (Robison LL et al. Cancer
63:1904-1919, 1989)

In males, marijuana diminishes testosterone production and lowers sperm counts. In females, marijuana disrupts hormone cycles. (Gold MS. Marijuana, NY:plenum Medical Book Co., p. 69-71)

Marijuana contains some of the highest cancer causing substances known. Marijuana contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acetone, benzene, toluene, vinyl chloride, dimethylnitrosamine, methylethylnitrosamine, benz(a)anthracene, benz(a)pyrene, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, and many more.
(Huber, Gary: Pharm.Biochem.Behavior Vol.40. P.630, 1991. National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine report, Washington DC 1982, Marijuana & Health 1982)

Marijuana smoke produces airway injury, acute and chronic bronchitis, lung inflammation, and decreased pulmonary defences against infection. Smoking one marijuana cigarette leads to airway deposition of four times as much
cancer-causing tar as does tobacco smoke. (Tashkin DP. West J Med 158:635-637, 1993)

Cases of cancer, including cancer of the mouth, tongue, larynx, jaw, head, neck, and lungs have been reported in young marijuana smokers. (Donald PJ Otolaryn Head & Neck Surg 94:517-521, 1986. Ferguson RP et al. JAMA 261:41-42, 1989. Taylor FM. South Med J 81:1213-1216, 1988, Donald PJ Adv Exp Med Bio 288:33-46, 1991)

Marijuana causes decreased resistance to diseases such as herpes. (Cabral GA et al. Proc Soc Exp Bio Med 182:181-186, 1986)

In a recent study of blood samples taken from 1441 impaired or dead drivers across Canada, marijuana was found in 38% of the samples. The study underestimates the drug use because in a number of cases, if alcohol were found, drug analyses may not have been done. (K. Wayne Hindmarsh, Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, Wayne K. Jeffery, R.C.M.P. Police Forensic Lab)

Marijuana causes many mental disorders, including acute toxic psychosis, panic attacks, flashbacks, delusions, depersonalization, hallucinations, paranoia, depression and "uncontrollable hostility". (Jenike MA. Drug Abuse.
In:Rubinstein E, Federman DD, eds, Scientific American Medicine, NY:Scientific American, Inc., 1993)

A roadside study of reckless drivers not believed to be impaired by alcohol found that 45% tested positive for marijuana. (Brookoff D et al. New Eng J Med 331:518-522, 1994)

Marijuana has long been known to trigger attacks of mental illness, such as bipolar (manic-depressive) psychosis and schizophrenia. It has been shown that marijuana users are six times more likely to develop schizophrenia than are non-users. (Andreasson S et al. Lancet 2:1483-1485, 1987)

Marijuana is a "gateway drug". Children who smoke pot are 85 times more likely to use cocaine than non marijuana users. (Joseph A. Califano, Jr., President of The Centre on Addiction and Substance Abuse)

Marijuana and tobacco comparison. Marijuana and tobacco cause at least the same amount of injury to the airways, pulmonary function, and lung immunity.
http://www.drugwatch.org/Documents/DWEV.html

Cognitive dysfunctions in chronic cannabis users observed during treatment - an integrative approach. By Thomas Lundqvist
http://www.drugwatch.org/Documents/HNNPress95.html

A list of references
http://www.drugwatch.org/Documents/dyktam.html

Finally, why do I get the feeling that we're wasting our time trying to explain something that should be so obvious to a diver smart enough to belong to DAN?

Any mind-altering medication, drug, substance or condition is extremely risky to a diver in terms of drowning due to faulty decision-making.
http://www.scuba-doc.com/marij.html

Originally posted by bradymsu
Mirage,

By the way, I've never been encouraged to drink by the dive industry. If anything, my instructors have always told me not to drink the night before an important dive if at all.

My instructor was also quite adamant about not drinking within 12 hours definately, and preferably 24. The dive boat I was on just yesterday strictly prohibited the use of alcohol until we had completed all dives and were on our way back to port.

Since my diving experience is very limited, I don't know if this is unusual. Also, I do not wish to pass judgement on anyone. I know that I would appreciate it if my dive buddy was honest with me and told me about any recent drug use as I would do the same.

Kimmie

Our policy is simple. Your first drink of the day is after your last dive of the day. We "suggest" 12 hrs between bottle and diving, but this is subject to some flexibility, as 8 hours is probably plenty after a glass of wine with dinner, and 72 or more hours may be needed after a night of slammers at Carlos' & Charlie's.
Rick

Dear readers:

This exchange is apparently not going to quit. As most readers have surmised and suggested, diving with anything that limits your cognitive faculties is not in your best interest or those of your companions. They, after all, may need to come and find -- and rescue -- you with a possible risk to them.

Research is performed by scientists when a specific problem arises and there are funds to conduct a study. People will not fund a study for which there is no reason, as it is a waste of money. You will not find someone paying to study marijuana while diving, since it is not a medical or operational necessity.

I could never imagine NASA asking me to study astronauts while they are “high.” - - non-altitude high, that is. This should be self-evident. As indicated above, the first drink of beverage alcohol signals the last dive of the day. Drugs before diving are DEFINITELY not customary.

Dr Deco

Originally posted by Dr Deco
Dear readers:

This exchange is apparently not going to quit.

Oops! Sorry Doc. I didn't mean to beat a dead horse. Sometimes I just can't help but throw in my two cents and wait for change.

Kimmie

Hey Kimmie,

Not to worry. The only thing that would prohibit you from posting in any topic on the forum is if the thread is locked and I don't think there are any locked threads in the entire forum.

You are always welcome to thow in your 2 cents. It's just that this thread got a little off kilter. Any time you find a topic you feel like posting on, even if it's one from months ago, feel free to post and bring the topic back into play.

Cheers,

Ladydiver,

A little off kilter? More like, in the ozone!!

That post went on too long in my opinion, I think most can see that this topic sure did look like it was just a baited conversation.

I have deleted Mirage's last post since I think he was a little too "Hi" when he wrote it! There is no call for insulting remarks of that type.

His account has been disabled and posting privileges have been revoked. E-mailing and Private Msg'ing has been turned off too (to protect the forum from being bombed from him account). If this seems to upset anyone too much, I'm sorry but the educational value of this thread ran dry long ago.
:bonk:
Since mirage must have been broke and could not "Get a Clue - Buy a Vowel", I will dispense this one for free...
:loopy:
If you find your opinion brings about a rebuttal that is swift, harsh and long winded (not to mention heavily documented and backed by a metric butt ton of scientific data) and you are standing across from mental giants that are leading authorities/highly respected in their field -
You might want to slink back under a rock and go back to the drawing board.
:nono:

If you feel the uncontrollable urge to use vulgar language to "Tell off our Doctors", spare us, you may like your head "Up There" - But we don't care to take the royal sphincter tour with you... It's not wanted, nor appreciated, just take it elsewhere ...

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom