Marine Biologists...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDuncan1234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well I'm assuming this is the correct place to post this? At least, I hope it is... Anyways, I am seriously considering pursuing a career in marine biology and was curious as to how many marine biologists are members of this board??

I am currently going to a community college and I am about to enter a biotechnology associates degree program in the fall. Until now, I have been undecided and just taken gen-ED's, but ever since I started diving this past December my passion for the underwater world has just absolutely exploded. I've been a fish lover my whole life, and the past few years have cultivated numerous aquarium ecosystems, both fresh and marine. Only recently this past summer I decided that since I love tending to my aquarium and learning about marine life, I should learn how to scuba dive!! Found out that the local dive shop offered training through my school for college credits, so I dove right in!! Now I'm completely and hopelessly addicted...

So if there are any M. Biologists, or people studying to become one, help a fellow fish nut out! What can you tell me about the field? What schools offer the best marine bio program? What do you like most/hate most about the profession?... any kind of information you can give me on the topic will be very appreciated!!

thanks in advance

P.S. almost forgot to ask my main question... I am wondering if focusing my major on just "biology" instead of "biotechnology" would be better in terms of my ultimate goal of becoming a marine biologist. My research so far has shown me that most M.B.'s got Bachelors in biology and then mastered in Marine Bio... I have also seen that alot of schools actually offer a bachelors program in marine biology itself, and im wondering which way would be the best route??

Last edited:
I work at an office, and the main UPS guy I deal with on a daily basis is a marine biologist. He went through many many years of school (and money), but there just aren't any jobs. Plain and simple.

Thus, if you really have a burning, fiery passion for marine biology, go for the gold. However, be prepared to be a UPS man if it doesn't work out.

If you are interested in marine biology read what Dr. Milton Love has to say about it at :The Love Lab

He gives the best advice one may receive

Basically it does not matter where you go to school or how long it may take; be prepared to get the terminal degree.

Do not expect to speak to dolphins

Everyone is researching sharks now

Do not expect to make much money

On the other hand, you will have a personally rewarding career if you understand the job is not as sexy as it appears

Not a marine biologist but an Oceanologist here in Mexico. The exact difference between the two careers is that in mine we see marine biology, physics, marine geology, marine chemistry, and all the interactions between them.
As far as job oportunities and cash, at least in my country, as far as just leaving of reasearching and working as a scientist, the options are few and not all that well payed. It's more of a vocation career. Yet, there are ways to go into the private company sector, get the cash and still do what one loves.
Best advice, and I know it now, be sure what you want before choosing what you are going to study......

Hi MD-

Marine Biology is a career choice not to be taken lightly. This is a very competitive field. A bachelor's may as well be your high school diploma in that everyone has one and you will need more training.

Your credentials have more to do with what you did as an undergrad than the grades you got. Those who don't become UPS drivers have worked very hard to be where they are. It is possible to work with whatever you want, but you should be prepared to devote 100% of your time to it. Be prepared to volunteer and work for peanuts for a long time before gaining a real job. Undergrads that stick out are the ones who don't go out every weekend to get smashed, but instead use their socializing time to make connections and network. After school, you should be interning under at least one grad student if not three and maybe holding a part-time job in the field. If you want to be in the field, it helps to be very competent with a boat and using whatever gear you will need (scuba, freediving, oceanography stuff).

Aquaculture is an option.
You may start out at a low salary but most people I know in commercial management do pretty well.
Be prepared to move around though. Many of the jobs are with newer species and are started up underfunded or not fully prepared. Even established species like shrimp have business killing diseases pop up now and then. I've lived in 22 houses in the last 33 years.
A graduate degree helps to get your foot in the door in turn key projects. But after a while you'll need to gain a reputation for actually producing, problem solving on the wing, willingness to go swimming in the middle of the night to repair a broken check valve etc etc.

Love's got it right. Also remember that there is room at the top in any and all fields ... if you are good enough.

I would agree with smellzlikefish, I'm not in biology (my wife is), but to get a good job in science, the best preparation you can do is to work hard on classes and gain experience in the field/lab. Especially useful is gaining experience working under a scientist or professor in your preferred discipline. I personally feel the exact title on your degree is less important than what you choose to do "extra" in school. Research in a lab for college credit, or pay, can be an excellent "extra" that may not be required in many programs. This sets you apart from other applicants for a job or graduate school. Hopefully, it would also be something you enjoy doing, if you hope to spend your career doing it.

The science programs I'm involved with (Chemistry & Physics) are most concerned about a recommendation from a research advisor or some demonstrated ability to research, such as published papers. The exact title on a degree or list of classes you take, as long they are related, is not as important. Since productive research or application of the topic normally requires mastery of the subject, good grades are assumed to follow.

I work with the marine biology department of FIU in Florida. These guys spend 90% of there time in the lab and 10% of there time in the field, but they love it (so do I) and there is nothing in the world they would rather do. PM me and I'll get you the Director of marine research's email and you can ask him.. he's totally awesome.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! You've all been very helpful. I'm currently about two semesters away from finishing my associates in biology. Most likely gonna do my bachelors in biology and minor in chemistry, and then get into a grad school to master in marine science. Being in school for the next 4-6 years really doesn't bother me in the least because I am so passionate about this field. I am also the type of person who doesn't put too much value on an enormous paycheck as long as what I'm doing is something I love and can enjoy doing for the rest of my life. If being a marine biologist means possibly having to deliver packages for ups for a little while to pay off my school loans, so be it... the ends justifies the means, in my opinion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom