Marine Biology--A Profitable career?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys,

I am nearing the point in my life where it is near time for me to start deciding what colleges I want to apply to. I was introduced to diving as a Freshman and have fallen in love with the underwater world. I love the cold waters of Monterey California and the new friendships I have formed through diving.

But my question to you is, especially for marine biologists out there, how is the career of a marine biologist? I realize that one probably doesn't make a lot of money and that is a viable concern. I think that I could be a very successful business man and be very successful monetary wise, but diving would be limited...

It's the classic "fun" career versus a "money" work work job. I was just wondering how the life of a marine biologist is and if anyone has any input on my pending decisions ahead of me. Thanks a lot :)

Nick

It all boils down to what you really want. If you yearn for wealth, sell your dive gear. If you want to end your day with a sense of self-satisfaction, marine biology can be the perfect career for that.

If you get into the field of marine biology, you will want to specialize. The highest competition (read: least available money) is in the charismatic species like dolphins, sharks, etc. The most successful marine biologists I've seen decided to specialize in critters like invertebrates, algae, reef fish, etc.

That is not to say you can't maintain interests in the large charismatics. For example, I work primarily with cone snails, but maintain interest and even sometimes do side projects with sharks (my personal favorite), fish, corals, etc.

Aquaculture has supplied me with a nice lifestyle, except for the moving around a lot. 21 different houses in 33 years.
I've lived in the tropics near good diving and sometimes good surf for the last 33 years.
I get in the water every week weather permitting.

Take a trip down to Catalina and speak with Dr. Bill, our resident marine biogist, during your SIs

Go to this site: The Love Lab and read what Dr. Love says about the subject. He is dead on.

Oh, that was entertaining! :rofl3:

He is right on. And he discribed most of the "critter cutters" I either teach Scientific Diver classes to, or I find on the research vessels out of the Ocean Studies Instute in San Pedro. :eyebrow:

One can probably make a better livign as a commercial diver, and that's not very easy either.

Check out Santa Barbara City College: MDT

Follow what you love, not the money you will be happier in the long run. There is nothing worse in this life than waking up and having that sinking feeling of "Sh_ _, I have to go to that #*@#ng job today!"

Follow what you love, not the money you will be happier in the long run. There is nothing worse in this life than waking up and having that sinking feeling of "Sh_ _, I have to go to that #*@#ng job today!"

I worked as a divemaster/safety-diver with several marine biologists and we loved our jobs but didn't get paid very well so now I get paid well and I keep waking up and having that sinking feeling of "Sh_ _, I have to go to that #*@#ng job today!".

Its incredibly rough going for someone with a bachelors degree in any scientific wildlife field. I've looked at the various jobs available in the eastern portion of the U.S., $24000-$30000 for a bachelors, $36000 for a masters.

Ecological biology (including marine biology) is incredibly rewarding and a fascinating field of study. But the pay is so poor. State Agencies usually pay better than Federal though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom