Marine Biology--A Profitable career?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say aquaculture is growing at a rate of 7% per year. It is a challenging field and we do need to feed a growing population. And it's kept me near good surfing, diving and spearfishing for the last 36 years.
Whatever species you grow is kind of a "slice" of marine biology. I liken myself to a pig farmer vs a zoologist. I don't know all the organisms in the sea but I can grow the **** out of some shrimp and fish species. :D

Orca21

1. You can live like a student/grad student i.e. rent a room in a house in Santa Barbara relatively cheaply. Owning a house is another story. Median house prices right now (Jan 2014) in Santa Barbara are about $800,000 and at the very low end they are in the $450 range.

3. The salaries you quote are for biologists, mostly in Biotech, they are not anywhere near Marine Biologist salaries there is a significant error in the biologist website, all biologists are lumped together. at Scripps, marine associates are making about $19/hr or $38K/year with some experience. That is probably comparable to Santa Barbara but it is not clear talking to my friends there that jobs are available.
2. I don't know any private companies doing marine conservation; there are some foundations but they pay grad student wages or rely on volunteers.
4. If your wife is a doctor/lawyer then sure. If she is working in a laboratory (with a PhD) then probably not, but a lot depends on where exactly you want to live near SB.

Santa Barbara is a great place, good diving, great city life, BUT it is one of the most expensive places in California to live, and California is not terribly cheap to start with.
I certainly don't want to discourage you from trying, but
a. Marine Biology doesn't pay well (unless you are a professor at UCSB)
b. Santa Barbara is great but really expensive, although everything near the water in CA is expensive.
c. There are not a lot of marine biology jobs out there in SB. Scripps in San Diego is a possibility ($40K/yr) but it too is expensive.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom