Marine Biology Jobs Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the inadvertent consequences of spousal choice, contraceptive failure and carelessness, long-range plans about a minimum # of kids don't always pan out.

A small house commuting distance from an area with good sea conditions might cost more than you think. Some people think higher income is about owning a mansion and driving a luxury car. Often it's about a comfortable home in a safe neighborhood and sending your kid(s) to a better school, and maybe a retirement that isn't spent on Social Security in the projects.

I definitely don't want to get in degree in chemistry, math, or physics but I am getting a PhD in Marine Biology and a Bachelors in Conservation Science.

Be aware you'll need a number of college Chemistry classes in the pursuit of a Biology degree. And the knowledge to understand a lot of what goes on in Biology and Ecology. You don't have to have a degree in it, true.

Some Ph.D's pursue teaching jobs in college, but from what I've seen years ago in other 'hard sciences' and heard about the academic career path, it was my understanding that....

1.) The pay was laughable considering all the years, labor & high achievement put in to get there.

2.) Once hired, a person stayed 5 years hoping to 'publish or perish' and build the support needed in the 1st 4 to get the coveted tenure. If not granted tenure, the person would likely leave, go to another University and start over. No small thing if you graduated high school at 18, college with a Bachelor's at 22, grad. school with a Ph.D. at 26 (if you are lucky!) then (if we ignore the possibility you're doing 'post-doc.' work awhile before you get a long-term job) at age 31 discover it's time to pack up and seek an academic job elsewhere.

May not be that way everywhere, but it was been some, so be aware.

Mason, I don't think anyone here wishes you anything but good. 'Tough love' is often the best gift one can give early on.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon. The truth in his statement is something those of us a bit older can savor more deeply.

Richard.

Mason22:

Have you checked the cost of living around major marine labs in the US? They tend to be in some of the more expensive places in the country. If you want to meet your goal you might need to align your plans with the realities of the profession.

Examples:
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California System, La Jolla, CA
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, CA
National Marine Mammal Laboratory, NOAA, Seattle, WA

I spent a good part of my life near La Jolla. A modest cottage within miles of Scripps is more than a mansion in many parts of the country.

This is serious unless, you have access to considerable wealth or prefer to keep fantasizing about your future. Have you considered the US Navy? Along with the government in general, they underwrite an extraordinary amount of ocean research and periodically have programs to help with civilian education.

There are opportunities to get significant experience at sea, log time for a USCG Masters (captains) license, be trained as a diving officer, and/or any number of programs that will benefit you later. Most of that experience will be of greater value than working as an under-grad lackey with no authority or credit on the papers that get published. You can get a commission with as little as a bachelor’s degree. There are a significant number of ex-Navy people at NOAA and other government agencies who are in a position to hire you once you leave the service.

One of the cruel realities of every profession is you have to follow the money. Trust me, I was you fifty years ago. Diving was my life since age 7 thanks to Sea Hunt and Scripps was my [-]dream[/-] fantasy.

I know you guys are trying to help, and I too hope the kid pursues his dreams, but you're talking about things like raising a family and cost of living ... to a 13 year-old. The true meaning of cost of living didn't sink in until I actually had to pay my own rent, utilities, car, student loan, etc.--how could it?

To the OP, I would say see how you like high school biology, chemistry and physics before thinking seriously about what major to pursue in college, let alone grad school, living arrangements out in the real world, etc.! If you're an average kid, you're starting, what, 9th grade? For now, take it one step at a time, and if you find that that step sits well with you, then take another step.

Aside from the inadvertent consequences of spousal choice, contraceptive failure and carelessness, long-range plans about a minimum # of kids don't always pan out.

A small house commuting distance from an area with good sea conditions might cost more than you think. Some people think higher income is about owning a mansion and driving a luxury car. Often it's about a comfortable home in a safe neighborhood and sending your kid(s) to a better school, and maybe a retirement that isn't spent on Social Security in the projects.

Be aware you'll need a number of college Chemistry classes in the pursuit of a Biology degree. And the knowledge to understand a lot of what goes on in Biology and Ecology. You don't have to have a degree in it, true.

Some Ph.D's pursue teaching jobs in college, but from what I've seen years ago in other 'hard sciences' and heard about the academic career path, it was my understanding that....

1.) The pay was laughable considering all the years, labor & high achievement put in to get there.

2.) Once hired, a person stayed 5 years hoping to 'publish or perish' and build the support needed in the 1st 4 to get the coveted tenure. If not granted tenure, the person would likely leave, go to another University and start over. No small thing if you graduated high school at 18, college with a Bachelor's at 22, grad. school with a Ph.D. at 26 (if you are lucky!) then (if we ignore the possibility you're doing 'post-doc.' work awhile before you get a long-term job) at age 31 discover it's time to pack up and seek an academic job elsewhere.

May not be that way everywhere, but it was been some, so be aware.

Mason, I don't think anyone here wishes you anything but good. 'Tough love' is often the best gift one can give early on.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon. The truth in his statement is something those of us a bit older can savor more deeply.

Richard.

I don't mind taking chemistry and all, I'm not lazy. I just don't want to do all chemistry. When money isn't a factor in your mind, you open up to a world of joy. I might end up living in a junk apartment, but I will still be able to wake up and live my life with joy. I'm not sure if that kinda went off negative on you, but just to let you know, I have no grudges against you and you are a wise man.

---------- Post added March 10th, 2015 at 10:51 AM ----------

Mason22:

Have you checked the cost of living around major marine labs in the US? They tend to be in some of the more expensive places in the country. If you want to meet your goal you might need to align your plans with the realities of the profession.

Examples:
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California System, La Jolla, CA
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, CA
National Marine Mammal Laboratory, NOAA, Seattle, WA

I spent a good part of my life near La Jolla. A modest cottage within miles of Scripps is more than a mansion in many parts of the country.

This is serious unless, you have access to considerable wealth or prefer to keep fantasizing about your future. Have you considered the US Navy? Along with the government in general, they underwrite an extraordinary amount of ocean research and periodically have programs to help with civilian education.

There are opportunities to get significant experience at sea, log time for a USCG Masters (captains) license, be trained as a diving officer, and/or any number of programs that will benefit you later. Most of that experience will be of greater value than working as an under-grad lackey with no authority or credit on the papers that get published. You can get a commission with as little as a bachelor’s degree. There are a significant number of ex-Navy people at NOAA and other government agencies who are in a position to hire you once you leave the service.

One of the cruel realities of every profession is you have to follow the money. Trust me, I was you fifty years ago. Diving was my life since age 7 thanks to Sea Hunt and Scripps was my [-]dream[/-] fantasy.

As long as you have a job you love, what house you live in and what car you drive doesn't matter. As much as I love quartz countertops, I don't care if I end up with those fake granite stick-ons. I don't care if I have a nice 16-person dining table. I am on a different level then you obviously. Today's world is so corrupt and selfish because we care about what is on the outside, instead of filling ourselves everyday with joy on the inside. If filling myself with a happy day, everyday, means a piece of sh.t house but great job, am I wrong to say yes?

---------- Post added March 10th, 2015 at 10:59 AM ----------

I know you guys are trying to help, and I too hope the kid pursues his dreams, but you're talking about things like raising a family and cost of living ... to a 13 year-old. The true meaning of cost of living didn't sink in until I actually had to pay my own rent, utilities, car, student loan, etc.--how could it?

To the OP, I would say see how you like high school biology, chemistry and physics before thinking seriously about what major to pursue in college, let alone grad school, living arrangements out in the real world, etc.! If you're an average kid, you're starting, what, 9th grade? For now, take it one step at a time, and if you find that that step sits well with you, then take another step.

In science last year, I love it and it was mostly about biology. This year I hate science because it is about space stuff. I know the cost of living. I don't care if I am safe for a $200,000 30 year mortgage plan, I would rather buy a $70,000 house. I don't plan on having kids, but I do plan on a wife. Water and electricity bills aren't bad. As long as I have septic for plumbing, that is dirt cheap. If I qualified for a $200,000 30 year mortgage but bought a $70,000 home, I could get a decent car. I still wouldn't spend too much, probably in the $20k range. I got multiple scholarships but my dad is finishing up his college as a Web Developer, and they make a lot of money ($90-100k average).

…As long as you have a job you love, what house you live in and what car you drive doesn't matter…

You’re still not getting it. It has nothing to do with how grand or modest your domicile is. Following the money has everything to do with a chance to be involved in interesting and rewarding work. No funding, no research, and no job you love… but you do get to default on student loans and be a high school science teacher. :)

A mentor once told me to first figure out what you love, then figure out how to make money at it. You “might” have a handle on the first part but seem to think the second part happens by magic. Hard work isn’t enough, you have to work hard AND work smart. Figuring that out today “might” make you competitive with all the other starry-eyed wannabes with better grades and a big college trust fund.

Last edited:
You’re still not getting it. It has nothing to do with how grand or modest your domicile is. Following the money has everything to do with a chance to be involved in interesting and rewarding work. No funding, no research, and no job you love… but you do get to default on student loans and be a high school science teacher. :)

A mentor once told me to first figure out what you love, then figure out how to make money at it. You “might” have a handle on the first part but seem to think the second part happens by magic. Hard work isn’t enough, you have to work hard AND work smart. Figuring that out today “might” make you competitive with all the other starry-eyed wannabes with better grades and a big college trust fund.

If having a job while you get a Marine Biology job is what you mean, then I could be a Dive Assistant Instructor or have a photography business and blog.
If Marine Biology doesn't work out at all, I look to becoming part of the FBI Dive Team.
But, going to college for all those years isn't really how I want to live my life. I might start resorting to the FBI Dive Team and study coral biology as a hobby.

46 responses and no one mentioned aquaculture? It's not as glorious or sexy as diving on a reef and counting species of whatever, but it's allowed me to live on or near a beach in the tropics for the last 38 years. Not bad for an ex corn picker from Ohio. And I've probably dived, free dived, spearfished, surfed and body surfed as much as any "real" marine biologist. Because that's what success in life is really about….being happy. :D

It's kind of like being an aquaponics manager vs a forest ranger. But it does challenge your knowledge of marine environments. And it's growing and probably will continue to grow. 20 - 30 billion people in the future have to eat something.

If Marine Biology doesn't work out at all, I look to becoming part of the FBI Dive Team.
But, going to college for all those years isn't really how I want to live my life. I might start resorting to the FBI Dive Team and study coral biology as a hobby.

I can introduce you to the ex-head of the FBI dive team if you like. He's an *******, but I get along fine with him (what's that say about me?). He says that there are a lot of politics involved. You'd do better with a Criminal Justice degree in that case. No math or physics at all, no biology either. He lives in South Florida.

This question is a perennial favorite on Scubaboard. I love the responses that there "are no marine biology jobs" for two reasons. First, it winnows the field of potential marine biologists to those that really want to compete for the positions. Second, it runs contrary to my experience of the dozens of people I knew who studied some form of aquatic science; all of whom worked in the field. Some no longer do, but in my own 40-year career, I have had to change jobs and fields several times.

I use the larger aquatic science or environment science because I find "marine biologist" only covers a narrow aspect of the jobs available. In my own case, I have been able to do marine biology and marine archaeology as part of my duties, just not the central part.

In all these responses to your question, there is the kernel of a strategy for your career.

1) You cannot just be a "marine biologist." You need to have a bundle of skills, some apparent, some not. Can you operate a boat,have mechanincal skills to rig gear in the field or construct an appartus out of pvc and left over parts? Computers skills are a condition of employment, especially familiarity with spreadsheets and statistical analysis package. Can you write a declarative sentence, a coherent paragraph, a so-called "letter-report." Can you write the affected environment section of an environmental impact statement dealing with a proposed aquatic project? I have hired marine scientists and look for these skills not just a credential.

2) You examine jobs "in Florida" while its a nice place, there are other places. In a global economy, you are going to need to be willing to relocated.

3) I did not follow the link, but entry level positions described are not terminal. People do move up to more responsible positions although some don't and quickly exit the field.

4) Its a competitive market, you will need to hustle to get the job and continually improve your skills to keep in it. That makes it no different than the hundreds of other jobs in the Occupational Handbook.

5) Don't be discouraged but be resillient.

I can introduce you to the ex-head of the FBI dive team if you like. He's an *******, but I get along fine with him (what's that say about me?). He says that there are a lot of politics involved. You'd do better with a Criminal Justice degree in that case. No math or physics at all, no biology either. He lives in South Florida.

PLEASE! I live in Central Florida. And if I do go down that path, I would get a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and do 3 years in the Navy as well as getting PADI Divemaster certified. I read the requirements for it and it said you must have 2 years in regular FBI and be a certified diver. So then I read the FBI requirements, and you have to have 3 years of full time job experience and have a Bachelors degree. I said to myself, why not go to the Navy since 1. Having service always help a ton on your resume 2. Get much more physically fit (I love to work out and im muscular, but you always need more). Its suppose to have the hardest training in the whole service 3. It would help my swimming skills.

Back
Top Bottom