Marine conservation and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me how little knowledge about local marine life divers get... and often how little dive instructors have to give. Diving in our local park, I hear so much misinformation being given. I try to corner the instructor and correct them out of earshot of their classes when I can.

Here on Catalina we have been talking about having weekly programs on marine life open to all divers who visit. I'll give video-illustrated self-narrated talks about recent sitings, great dive sites, unusual marine life, etc. I've seen similar things work well in other regions I've visited.

I fully endorse that. Here on Long Island I am trying to find more marine conservationists I can dive with. I volunteer at a local aquarium but it's not the same.

Quick question: if you see "garbage" on a beach dive, should you remove it from the environment or leave it in case some sea creature has made their home there?

I hope this gets posted correctly this time, sorry for the extra post, my silicon is overheating.

I heartily agree that marine education ought to be a bigger part of dive training. I'd push it a step further and hope that divers are shown (note I said SHOWN, not told) how they can help preserve our oceans even when they are out of the water, sitting in front of their computers, driving their cars, choosing a home, etc. Use less, love more!!!

The importance has been downplayed by the media and by the White House, but the PEW Oceans Commission, in their 2003 "Report to the Nation" said, "America's oceans are in crisis and the stakes could not be higher."

The U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy, being political appointees were less bold, but even they said, "The importance of our oceans ... cannot be overstated; they are critical to the very existence and well-being of the nation and its people ... these invaluable and life-sustaining assets are vulnerable to the activities of humans."
(from "An Ocean Blueprint for the 21st Century")

However, I hope you'll pardon me if I'm a little skeptical of the statement, "Basically, if someone understands and has more knowledge about something, the more they respect it. The more they respect it, the more they care about it. The more they care about it, the more compassion and empathy they have for it. The more compassion and empathy they have for it, the more they work at protecting and saving it."

I act as if that's true, I hope that's true, but no evidence was presented in that article to support such a statement and my own observations cast a lot of doubt on it. People learn about squirrels and deer and bunnies from a young tender age, yet look what's being done to the our forests. Same with agricultural land in the midwest U.S. -- it's washing into the Gulf of Mexico.

Hope and scepticism hand in hand...

One of my five specialties for my PADI Master Scuba Diver certification was Coral Reef Conservation. I'm very glad it counted toward it. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and try to be wary of everything when I'm diving in the ocean.

I would love to see a program where every diver gets some in-depth training (most likely post-certification) in the ecology and conservation of the specific area in which they dive. Coral reef issues can be quite different from mangrove swamps or giant kelp forests, although there are similar impacts to consider in each.

I would love to see a program where every diver gets some in-depth training (most likely post-certification) in the ecology and conservation of the specific area in which they dive. Coral reef issues can be quite different from mangrove swamps or giant kelp forests, although there are similar impacts to consider in each.

I couldn't agree more! I am a conservation biologist (marine of course) and ecologist and it drives me nuts to see how people treat the underwater world. I know when I teach (or assist... DM still) we always try and throw in an added section on marine issues and how divers can help and make sure that when we hit the OW that we show the students how to keep the coral etc. healthy and not hurt anything. I hope they use wat they are taught but who knows.

As a side note... I went diving with a friend in Nova Scotia and just about had a heart attack as she tried to grab a sea raven... she would have got it to if she didn't cause a silt out. She wasn't wearing any gloves and we were a good couple hours from any medical anything... not sure what their toxins are like (not my specialty! But I know about their warm water cousins quite well!!!!) and was hoping not to have to do any major first said... That is one time I was glad the visibility dropped to 0. Last thing I saw was her hand a few inches away then ... well... muck! More marine education would be greatly appreciated from a hazard/health stand point for a diver and for the continual growth of the reefs, kelp and, mangroves as they all play an important part, on a broad scale, in every day life!

AP

A program I really enjoyed in Cairns was "Reef Teach" conducted by Paddy Colwell. Not only was he educational but very entertaining. It is an "unfortunate" fact that educators have to be entertainers as well to get most people to pay attention. I've always used that approach myself, but mainly because I like to have fun with things.

[quote=drbill] A program I really enjoyed in Cairns was "Reef Teach" conducted by Paddy Colwell. Not only was he educational but very entertaining. It is an "unfortunate" fact that educators have to be entertainers as well to get most people to pay attention. I've always used that approach myself, but mainly because I like to have fun with things. [/quote]

Me Too! At the same time, I find it also makes students (diving or otherwise) remember what you teach a little better. They see you as a 'goof' and will remember a lot about what you say and show them! That, and it never hurts to have fun your self while you teach, that's the best part! :)

Paddy Colwell eh? I'm headed out that way (to Townsville) in a week or so (no flight yet Eeek!) I'll have to see if I run into him while I am down under. I am hoping to hit Carins a fair bit for diving and research so who knows! What kind of program is 'Reef Teach?' Obviously itsomething that wouldteach you about the reef, as the name would imply, but is it something that is meant for divers, the general public, students, etc? :confused:

Keeping on the topic of diving, I still thing OW divers need more of an environmental orientation when they first learn how to dive. My biggest pet peeve is when you see something on TV (not that I ever watch the darn thing) or in a movie about diving and they have people touching everything in sight and picking everything up... even when you go out on a dive boat ... it drives me up the wall.... what happened to the 'leave nothing but bubbles' thing? :huh:

AP

.,... Sorry DrB.... the quote thing didn't work....

Back
Top Bottom