Marine life guides/apps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to learn more about Southern California marine life. Can anybody recommend me to a field guide (book) or preferably an app, in which I could identify what I am seeing? I would prefer it to be specific to the region if possible. Thanks.

Last edited:
Kevin Lee has some great images of SoCal marine life

Thanks, those are fantastic pictures. But I'm looking for some text as well so I can learn more about the range of a species, habits, etc.

When are you coming out with your guide, Phil?:)

you should check out the 700+ newspaper columns I've written about marine life

I have. They have long been bookmarked on two of my computers. Excellent work, very enjoyable. I read them for both fun and learning. Do you offer an app for a phone? I wanted something I could look at just after a dive. Thanks.

The videos I have posted on YouTube are MP4s and should be compatible with many smart phones (I own one of the dumbest cell phones, but it does make calls!).

The absolutely best guide to the natural history of marine life I have ever used is Certainly More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast by Milton Love. Extremely detailed, well written, with a sense of humor. It is my go to reference. One of my neighbors was discussing his rockfish catch with a friend. They were trying to agree on the common name of the fish. I broke out Milt Love's book and it turned our that it was the same fish, just two different common names (not an uncommon circumstance). While reader friendly, this book is not really portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Certainly-Ab...F8&qid=1487181647&sr=8-1&keywords=milton+love

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom