Marine Sounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Like most things in my life, this thread started a bit oddly. I was looking for real sound clips of ASDIC/Sonar and a warning/dive klaxon. I know that the juxtaposition is unrealistic, but it makes a good ringtone alert for someone who has my phone number...

Anyway, I stumbled across a most interesting site during my search:
Historic Naval Sound and Video
scroll down to: Sound In the Sea

I have often heard croakers, but have now become interested in paying much more attention to what I am hearing. Does anyone know of a good way to record sounds underwater? Just a smallish waterproof high-quality sound recorder, GoPro isn't what I'm looking for. I have one.

There isn't much on the board regarding marine sounds. This is the best I could find:
Whaleshark - sounds

Anyone with sound clips they would like to share???

Here you go...
What is sound?

By the way, I use a dive klaxon for the ringtone for my cave-diving buddy. I've attached it in case you want to use it. You'll need to change the suffix to mp3.

Attachments

• Alert_submarine.txt
    39.9 KB · Views: 91
Hey lowviz, as someone who studies sound (albeit terrestrial) for a living, I love this topic! For underwater recordings, you have a couple of options. You can use a topside unit and then just drop the hydrophone over the side. Below is a link for one of these units.

ORDER

Alternatively, you can deploy an entire unit underwater that can be programmed to record at specific intervals.

Snap

I have a bazillion sound files I could share, unfortunately, none of them are underwater.

Hey lowviz, as someone who studies sound (albeit terrestrial) for a living, I love this topic! ...
How interesting!! We should talk! PM me if you wish.

Could I ask a favor? I would expect that you use a high-end sound file editor, but are you aware of any affordable ones?

... Alternatively, you can deploy an entire unit underwater that can be programmed to record at specific intervals.

Snap ...
Thank You!!! That is perfect!

I was a sonar tech in the Navy. I listened to marine sounds for a living. I don't have any recordings, but the ones in the link are definitely the familiar sounds I know.

One of my shipmates got a tattoo of our sonar insignia -- an arrow juxtaposed with a headset -- with the arrow piercing a dolphin. He was bothered by the idea that our active sonar could harm whales.

Why did I choose sonar, knowing about the whale problem? Because it was one of the few jobs in the Navy that had to do with the surrounding environment, instead of the interior of the ship!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom