Mark Kistner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Vice President of Michigan's Underwater Preserve Committee, Mark Kistner, passed away April 2, 2009 of a heart attack while visiting his Mother in Metamora, Michigan. He will be sorely missed and remembered as the best natured lawyer and Scuba Instructor you will ever find. He was regularly found diving the Straits of Mackinaw Preserve. Arrangements are currently in process.

I just found out from my dad and thought I'd do a google search on his name. He was my favorite dive instructor who always made me feel safe. I was looking forward to another summer dive with him. He will be sorely missed.

I found out when I got home earlier tonight. Horribly sad. I did not know him very long, but I had done several dives with him through team functions. He was one of the nicest people I have even known. He will be missed. Once again, my condolences to his family and friends.

John

Received an email from ComputerJoe, with a link to Mark's guest book. feel free to sign. If you cannot attend the funeral.

Thanks Joe

Arrangements have been made for visitations Monday from 9:30am till 12:00pm, after which services will be held at A.H. Peters Funeral Home. There is an online guest book at A. H. Peters Funeral Home: Memorial Obituaries you can visit and sign Mark's Guest Book and leave a word or two of encouragement to his family.

A.H. Peters Funeral Home
20705 Mack Ave.
Grosse Pt. Woods, MI 48236

Or at the corner of 8 mile and Mack.

Joseph Sobczak, Secretary
Michigan Underwater Preserve Committee

I met Mark only in October on a trip to Bonaire. He was a close friend of the folks we went there with and I really had a great time getting to know him. It is a shame to lose him; he had a real love of diving and was a great guy. It sounds like he will be missed by many. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Oh my!

I haven't talked to him in a couple of years. We went out a few times, and he was my primary instructor for AOW. Very sad. Such a nice guy.

I remember talking to him once as he was coming back from Bonaire I think. He had done an insane # of dives in week. I can't remember what the # was, but it was more than humanly possible.

Mark was a friend of mine and he will be greatly missed. I had spoke to him a few days prior to his passing speaking of upcoming dives and events. Mark had a great impact on my wife and I introducing us to diving and teaching us everything we needed to know. Mark was not just a diving instructor to me he was a mentor and friend. If you did not have a chance to make it to his service it beautiful and it showed the number of people Mark had touched. Mark has done a lot for the diving community and he will be missed.

By the way the number of dives Mark logged in Bonaire was 83. He is the man. Mark frequently dove the Straits in a Shorty without a hood and gloves. Mark assisted in the rescue of a stranded diver who was trapped in the Cedarville back in 02 or 03 and as I remembered the story from Mark he found the guy sticking his head through a hole. Mark stayed with the man for forty minutes in a BATHING SUIT !!! The diver was saved and that alone would tell you how Mark Kistner was.

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND

I just wanted to post a picture of Mark doing what he loved; sleeping on the reef in Bonaire :)

Attachments

• Picture 102a.jpg
    Picture 102a.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 181
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom