• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Mark Powell’s book on technical diving is finally available

Discussion in 'Technical Diving Specialties' started by divezonescuba, Dec 27, 2018.

1. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

I have read the first third and skipped forward to read particular bits to see the treatment.

It is easier than Deco for Divers, and approaches the subject is a comprehensible way. In particular it discusses things quite broadly rather than focusing on narrow points, but explains why a thing matters.

It is clearer than the TDI materials, it is trying to be readable more than agency courses do and being for a different purpose it manages that.

It covers more stuff than I expected, covering trimix and reabreaths to an extent.

I think it would be interesting to anyone with an interest in how diving works and anything beyond following a guide. Pretty much anyone on SB who actually dives (excluding the pub people arguinging for the sake of it) would find this book interesting.

Actually, I would say everyone who dives should read it, even if they never intend to do deep, long dives, there will be something that makes them say ‘oh, I see now!’.

2. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    And a nice bloke too. He even had time for me on the morning of his daughter's wedding for my Nitrox practical!!

If his interpersonal skills are anything to go on then the book should be thorough and clear. I’m not planning on going down the technical route but I’m tempted to buy the book for the reasons KenGordon suggested.

Compressor likes this.
  3. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @KenGordon Can you give a couple of examples of things you have learned from the book?

4. In2theabyss

In2theabyss Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Ordered mine, Only 2 left on Amazon

5. Marie13

Marie13 Great White

I’m about 8 chapters in. I already think this is better than TDI’s Intro to Tech manual (which I’ve already read several times and have already done the bookwork ahead of ITT in August - it’s winter here on the Great Lakes! :wink:)

couv likes this.
  6. Jeremy Williams

Jeremy Williams Nassau Grouper

Deco was available as an ebook and I’m holding out for this one to get posted too.

7. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

aquaCorps history.
    That a particular turn of phrase can lead to reading in a Welsh accent.
    That I must have missed the point of how to place chest D rings.

So far I have only read chapters which are reasonably introductory and I expect to have good knowledge of. I have done courses that cover almost he entrire book so I’d hope there is nothing too new in there, just stuff I have forgotten.

There is a lot of basic material diving attitude, on how to chose and configure kit, core skills and core theory. That is all good to read and far better presented than in the agency manuals. It has discussion of pros and cons of various ways of doing something, that is not usual in agency materials.

couv likes this.
  8. Marie13

Marie13 Great White

The only thing that could be improved is the font used! It’s a very light black. Could be much darker.

9. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The Brits like to save money in every way possible even in ink. Masters of efficiency!

10. LetterBoy

LetterBoy he who lacks empathy ScubaBoard Supporter

We don't always just argue for the sake of arguing.

Sometimes we do it because we're not allowed to troll regular users :wink:

CuzzA likes this.