Marking Jumps and T's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On another thread there is the start of a discussion regarding the fact that cave divers cannot agree on how to mark jumps and T's. I teach a procedure that I'd like you to consider and will try to explain it.

Jumps:

Whenever we jump from one line to another very often we begin the jump at a set of double arrows pointing toward the nearest exit and these arrows indicate the position of another line. I teach every teammate to place a cookie, or some type non directional marker on the exit side of the arrows. The jump line is then laid down. So...if there are three team members there are five markers on the line, all serving as visual cues. Two arrows and three non-directional markers.

When the team comes back to that line a navigational decision must me made as to exit direction. At that point there are five visual cues as to which way the exit is. The person running the jump line waits at the reel and waits to see if the other two team members cross and wait on the exit side. Those two team members pull their non directional markers off of the line. Once the person pulling that reel is satisfied that the other two are in fact on the exit side then, and only then does that diver even touch and pull the reel and then removes their non directional marker. If team mates wait on the wrong side of the line/markers, not the exit side they do not pull the reel until after they signal the divers to move to the exit side and verifies that they do so.

If during the dive after that jump is installed the team members get separated and when they get back to the jump line the team will see that the separated diver has removed their non directional marker they will have a high degree of confidence that the separated team member has started down that exit line. If that marker remains in place then a logical assumption is that the diver is behind them. The team can then act accordingly.

Of course this protocol must be discussed topside and everyone must fully understand and agree to the procedure.

T's:

Same procedure even though generally no double arrows are present, sometimes no arrows are present. Once the team gets back to the tee where a navigational decision must be made there are ample visual cues as to exit direction and the same if team mates get separated beyond the T we can know with a high degree of confidence if our buddy is ahead or behind us based on the presence or absence of their marker.

That's how I was taught. It gets a little crazy sometimes, if you have several teams in the water at once, and you end up with nine cookies at a T.

My husband was taught team cookies, and we end up going back and forth depending on who is feeling most mulish on any given day.

Reactions: Jax
My husband was taught team cookies, and we end up going back and forth depending on who is feeling most mulish on any given day.

Some teach and use team cookies. I have in the past. It does not help when there is a separation of team mates. I think our most recent fatality could have possibly been prevented if each of the two divers used the procedure you and I use. :frown:

I really like Jim's method. I end up doing the 'team cookie' more often than not, however.

If I come across an unmarked T (no arrows), I make a contribution to the cause and donate an arrow. Same thing on arrowless lines.

I've dove with people who prefer team cookies and people who prefer personal cookies. Regardless I always drop my own cookie and explain I will before the dive. Not every one likes that. Most the people I dive with leave personal cookies too. If something were to happen Id want the peace of mind knowing whether my team mates made it back to at least that known point so I could better decide how to proceed. And id want that for them too.

I teach personal cookies, like Jim outlined, and explain the value in the event of buddy separation. I also explain that other people are taught different protocols, and cover the more common methods, and then explain why it's important to discuss this with your dive partners.

Great thread Jim!

Reactions: Jax
I cookie every T but don't cookie my own jumps. My jumps are always placed either between two arrows or on my arrow. If my exit direction differs from the arrow direction near my jump, I make a mental note of it and cookie MY exit side. At Ts, I insist on personal cookies. It confirms your exit if we get separated, it provides some redundancy, and you should be happy to get back to your personal cookie.

I was taught the same method, and always cookie every T and jump. I do make a mental note of whether or not the arrows are pointing towards my exit, but rely on my cookie to determine exit side.

Jim -- I honestly don't know which method is better. Here in Mexico, using the personal cookie system, I've seen jumps/tees with many cookies at times and it could be just as confusing.

But my real question with your system relates to the person staying with the reel until convinced all are on the exit side -- a system that works if the person with the reel can see the end of the line. But, again, here in Mexico, it is not at all uncommon to have a jump that goes around a bend and is out of sight of the line. What do you do then? One common jump that comes to mind goes down a rabbit hole, then to the right and then up!

Jim -- I honestly don't know which method is better. Here in Mexico, using the personal cookie system, I've seen jumps/tees with many cookies at times and it could be just as confusing.

But my real question with your system relates to the person staying with the reel until convinced all are on the exit side -- a system that works if the person with the reel can see the end of the line. But, again, here in Mexico, it is not at all uncommon to have a jump that goes around a bend and is out of sight of the line. What do you do then? One common jump that comes to mind goes down a rabbit hole, then to the right and then up!

Clearly there are going to be exceptions to any "rule" or "procedure". If in the case where the initial tie off is not within sight of the reel the divers simply stay on the temporarily installed jump line within sight of the person pulling the reel, once in sight of the line and person running the reel go to the exit side. The person with the reel then has the responsibility to help ensure all team members have gone to the exit side of the jump.

If there are 10 cookies on a line all one has to do is look for his own cookie. It slows things down a bit, but going slow where navigational decisions are to be made is a generally a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom