Marsa Alam travel logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks... I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting to Marsa Alam to meet up with some old friends in October. If you are flying in from overseas, is Cairo the only int'l airport? Are there frequent (daily) flights from Cairo to Marsa Alam? Or is the only way is to fly in/out of Hurghada. Is Hurghada an int'l airport? Would there be any direct flights from say Dubai (I would be transiting thru Dubai). Also, how far is Hurghada airport from the resorts on Marsa Alam? Are there frequent buses or do you have to hire private cars?

thanks!

Hurghada airport is international.
Flights to Marsa Alam from Cairo are not daily.
Marsa Alam airport is privately owned. You can ask about flights from Dubai to Marsa Alam in Dubai.
The distance from Hurghada airport to Marsa Alam is about 250 - 300 KM. There're frequent buses to Marsa Alam but not good ones. You can ask for a pick-up service from-to Hurghada airport.

thanks for the info Red... Looks like most of the international flights in to Hurghada are pretty much chartered flights from the UK or Germany...

hi pakman

both hurghada and marsa alam are intl. airports. as far as i know, domestic flights to marsa alam have been cancelled. indeed you are right, most flights are charter.

comming from dubai you have the following possibilities:

fly to cairo
a) demestic flight to hurghda and then taxi to marsa alam approx. 2.5 to 3 hours
pls note: domestic flights to hurghada are more expensive for foreigners
many flights a day
taxi fare should be arround 30eur/approx 40us don´t forget to haggle

b) you can take an express coach cairo - hurghada (el gouna transport) very cheep
buy 2 seats ;-)) traveltime approx. 6 hours
advantage: cairo is an interesting city go and see the pyramides

c) fly to munich and then via charter direct to marsa alam. flights are on thursdays
only i believe. it´s easy done on-line, www.condor.de flighing time is about
4.5 hours. you can get one-way flights as cheep as approx. 100us
luggage allowance with diving gear 50kg.

depends on you nationality. visa can be bought upon arrival at the airport.there are counters which sell the stamps (don´t know for cairo but assume is the same). just have 15 us ready. i do that quite often even if a visa is in my trip included. buying one, you can save a lot of time at hurghada and marsa alam

the further south you go - the better the diving gets!!!

swisstrav, thanks for all the info... unfortunately since my original post, found out I won't be able to take time off from work for that week to join my friends on the Red Sea. But thanks anyways. This info will be useful in the future!

Back
Top Bottom