Marsa Alam vs Dahab - recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nk84_b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am planning a week of solo diving vacation in the Red Sea at the beginning of June and I am having a hard time to make up my mind.

I've tried to narrow down my options to the below:
  • Land-based diving in Dahab
  • Land-based diving in Marsa Alam
  • Liveaboard in Marsa Alam: South & St. Jones route (downside is that the boat I am looking at is almost fully booked and I will have to share a cabin with another person)

About me: AOW with 30 dives; already dived in Thailand, Philippines, Bali and Mexico.

Dahab so far seems to be the cheapest option but I would like to get the best diving so I'm fine spending a bit more if it's worth it. Do you have any recommendations?

First check I would do is for flights; if your best (both timing and cost) connection is to RMF then I would opt for the lob, as south and St. Johns is a very nice area, IMHO better that the reffs that can be reached land based. If SSH hs the better flights, go to Dahab.

Mod63 is right : first find your convenient flight, then you'll find a place to dive in Dahab, Sharm or Marsa Alam...

Try a week land based before trying a liveaboard.

Timing-wise flights the same to both destinations. Cost-wise it’s 1/3 of the price to fly to Sharm compared to Marsa Alam.

As said, I’m willing to pay more though for better diving that’s why I asked for advice but wanted to know if Marsa Alam is actually so much better.

Also, if I fly to Sharm my research suggest that diving is better in Sharm than Dahab right?

"Better" ist difficult to define.
What do you want to see under water? during surface intervals?
What do you enjoy before and after diving?
Are you ok with current? caves? wrecks?
Do you care about 2 hours transfer at 02:00 in the mornin (Dahab) or do you prefer 30 minutes from airport to hotel?

I would say that Marsa Alam with Equinox Divers (e.g. Abu Dabbab 1 to 5, Um Halhalal, House Reef North and Elphinstone (15 min with speeboat )) is better than Dahab with Lagona Divers (e.g. Blue Hole, Canyon, Gabr El Bint, Lighthouse). Both dive shops are first class, don't get me wrong.

As "AOW with 30 dives in Thailand, Philippines, Bali and Mexico", i would not go for a LOB right now. I would rather get some more dives under thebelt. LOBs could be quite challenging.

From Sharm it will be easyer to go to the Thistlegorm if you are into that.

Do yourself a big favor and go to Dahab if you're doing shore dives. Marsa Alam is actually a long stretch of road (some 100km) with desert on one side and hotels dotted here and there on the other side. And nothing else. Port Ghalib is little more then a tourist trap with 2 euros for a bottle of water in the supermarket and so on (you get the picture).
On the other side Dahab is a cool (if rough around the edges) little town with a tourist central area (the so called boardwalk) around the bridge where you can actually find all kind of prices and experiences, plus innumerable dive centers. Then of course there's the Blue Hole plus a few other very nice shore based dive sites.

Marsa makes sense only if you're landing there and going on a liveaboard. I've been to both locations within last year and trust me, it's a no contest.

P.S. If you're in Berlin you could get to Dahab for peanut money for an extended week-end and see if you like it. It works until the end of March, have a look at the Berlin to Eilat flights on Ryanair website and I can explain you the rest :)

"Better" ist difficult to define.
What do you want to see under water? during surface intervals?
What do you enjoy before and after diving?
Are you ok with current? caves? wrecks?
Do you care about 2 hours transfer at 02:00 in the mornin (Dahab) or do you prefer 30 minutes from airport to hotel?

I would say that Marsa Alam with Equinox Divers (e.g. Abu Dabbab 1 to 5, Um Halhalal, House Reef North and Elphinstone (15 min with speeboat )) is better than Dahab with Lagona Divers (e.g. Blue Hole, Canyon, Gabr El Bint, Lighthouse). Both dive shops are first class, don't get me wrong.

As "AOW with 30 dives in Thailand, Philippines, Bali and Mexico", i would not go for a LOB right now. I would rather get some more dives under thebelt. LOBs could be quite challenging.

From Sharm it will be easyer to go to the Thistlegorm if you are into that.

I did a liveaboard in Bahamas with only 1 dive after my open water, loved it and did not find it challenging at all. Of course, Red Sea might be more challenging. But I have about the same level experience and booked a red sea liveaboard myself.

Be honest with operators. Good ones won't want you on board if you are not ready.

Do yourself a big favor and go to Dahab if you're doing shore dives. Marsa Alam is actually a long stretch of road (some 100km) with desert on one side and hotels dotted here and there on the other side. And nothing else. Port Ghalib is little more then a tourist trap with 2 euros for a bottle of water in the supermarket and so on (you get the picture).
On the other side Dahab is a cool (if rough around the edges) little town with a tourist central area (the so called boardwalk) around the bridge where you can actually find all kind of prices and experiences, plus innumerable dive centers. Then of course there's the Blue Hole plus a few other very nice shore based dive sites.

Marsa makes sense only if you're landing there and going on a liveaboard. I've been to both locations within last year and trust me, it's a no contest.

P.S. If you're in Berlin you could get to Dahab for peanut money for an extended week-end and see if you like it. It works until the end of March, have a look at the Berlin to Eilat flights on Ryanair website and I can explain you the rest :)

I've been at both locations as well :wink: and i nearly agree.

Dahab is cool and relaxed, a lot of young people enjoying life...
We've been there in October and we were the only 2 divers at the base, so had the reef for us.
Apart a few locals snorkeling and not going more than 2 meters away from the ladder...
The transfer from Sharm Airport to Dahab is a bit of nuisance: 1,5 - 2 hours through the mountain/desert.
The dive spots are great and there are some must see (Blue Hole, Canyon, Lighthouse).
Our Reference: Tropitel Dahab Oasis / Lagona Divers

There is actually nothing like "Marsa Alam" Town, that's correct. Depending on the hotel you will have between 15 min and x hours transfer from the airport to your hotel.
I think, it does not only make sense when going on LOB: You have some nice hotels in the Abu Dababd area with nice house reefs and zodiac/speedboot options to other dive spots including Elphinstone.
Our Reference: Three Corners Equinox / Extra Divers Equinox

I did a liveaboard in Bahamas with only 1 dive after my open water, loved it and did not find it challenging at all. Of course, Red Sea might be more challenging. But I have about the same level experience and booked a red sea liveaboard myself.

Be honest with operators. Good ones won't want you on board if you are not ready.

As Sunn already said. Bahamas are not Red Sea.
It is absolutely crucial to be clear on your skills and experience upfront. I think there will be a check dive anyway at which the DM/guide will evaluate you and then decide where you can go and where not. This will be regardless of anything you have on paper. You may have to accept that there will be 2 or more groups on the boat, depending on skills and expereience.
I remember you were looking for an option. Did you finally made your choice?
It would be great if you can tell us how it went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom