Maryland/Virginia Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RX8Bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A bit of a broad topic, but any tips on diving the northern VA area and Maryland? Moved to this area about a year ago and itching for a local dive site. Usually try making trips back to NJ regularly but not as often as I'd like.

I was at Greenbrier State Park in Maryland today and looking at the water was disappointed I didn't have gear with me. Has anyone dove there? Know what the process is to get permission to dive it?

I know about Millbrook and haven't been, Rawlings is a bit far, looking for reasonable day trips from the Loudoun/Fairfax areas. I know Juturna Springs is on my list when they reopen, especially after the C-130 is sunk. I haven't been bold enough to temp the Potomac or other local rivers.

I'm desperate to get wet! All tips are certainly welcome!

So I heard back from MD DNR. Diving in Greenbrier Lake is permitted with prior approval, below are the guidelines. Who wants to go? My wife can not dive with me for at least the next few months so I need a new buddy as they don't permit solo diving :/.

I'm interested in going as early as this Saturday if I can find a buddy and get permission. I've got a new pair of fins I want to try out and may want to continue trying to acclimate to my FFM.

Currently getting my DM cert, but have OW, AOW, Nitrox, advanced Nitrox, ice, and rescue might be more in there but can't recall off hand.

• Divers need special permission: They must contact park management in advance and receive a written response from us, which they must be able to present either on a Smart device or a printed copy should they be asked by park personnel.
  • Divers must check-in with the life guards or the camp office (who notifies the life guards or ranger)
  • Divers may not dive alone; we require at least pairs for safety (low visibility & boaters)
  • Divers may not dive by the boat launch since the area is too shallow and mucky
  • Divers may not be in the swim ropes unless given special permission for retrieving trash/litter
  • Divers must have their certifications and use dive float flags
  • Divers should avoid the dam
  • Divers should be out of the lake 1 hour prior to sunset.

Have received word from Maryland DNR giving the greenlight for me to dive Greenbrier lake. That was surprisingly easy.

Dove Greenbrier today, for those interested, max depth of 19 feet, surface temp around 70, significant thermocline around 10' and heavy vegetation on a clay/silt bottom. Some large bass, quite a few small. Surprisingly free of trash and debris that we could tell, though we did find a pallet with a few cinder blocks.

Boaters don't know what the dive flag is and my buddy got smacked by a kayak. Visibility around 15' above the thermocline, around 10' below and very green with sediment and algae. Vegetation seems to thin out a lot around 14'.

We entered the water just outside the northern most swimming area, the first one when walking from the boat ramp/parking lot. Entry was easy along the swimming area rope on a hard sand/mud bottom until about chest deep (5') where the mud got thick. Finned up in the water and swam out to the no wake bout where we started the dive. We exit the same area.

U-1105...? Always wanted to dive it and hopefully will one day. I've been on U-352 and 853 before.

U-1105...? Always wanted to dive it and hopefully will one day. I've been on U-352 and 853 before.
Definitely interesting and will add to the bucket list, however my hopes is something a little more local. Looks like piney point is about 2 hours away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom