mask and fin ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barbara and I love our Apollo Bio-Fins. Our Quatros are now out to pasture, grazing on sea grass or sea grapes. They were great, but the Apollos seem to us to be a step ahead. They are more comfortable, lighter and really do save on energy.

I, too, have an ESA (which, by the way, means "animal food" in Japanese!) and I love(d) it. Then a careless diver descended on me and kicked me in the mask. It has never been the same. It leaks, but not reproducibly. I love the six windows--especially useful when doing uw photograpy. What I do not know is how sturdy they are--Rick M., what is wrong with yours--do other folks you know have a pb with them. I do not anyone else who has an ESA.

Barbara has the Cresi and it is okay. I think it looks absolutely wicked--like Ming the Merciless!

Joewr

Joewr, thank you for the input and the warning about the ESA's durability. Its nice to get soo many replies to my posting in such a short period of time. I posted on another bb at the same time and have received only 2 replies so far. This is where the action is.
Dive on!!

Scubapro twinjets and oceanic shadow mask (frameless).

We had two. My bride was never really fond of hers - couldn't get a good fit no matter what we tried. But I loved mine. As I said, my only gripe is the poor durability - the common failure mode begins with the tiny little locking flanges on the main lens retainers, which get brittle and fail one at the time - I kept mine going for an extra year by using my wife's mask as a parts locker. Eventually, when they wouldn't stay in at all and leaked pretty badly, I started patching, then eventually replaced the retainers with silicone caulk... looked like a refugee from a Rube Goldberg convention but I could still use the ESA. When it started springing leaks around the side and bottom panes as well I gave up and set it aside. I'm hoping that in the five or six years since we got these two Mares has changed to some more durable components, but I haven't felt like forking over the big bucks yet in case they haven't.
Rick

Rick,

Thanks. What you describe is probably what I am suffering from. I guess, at this stage of technical development, the multi-pane (pain?) mask is not ready for prime time! I guess I will revert to my old min vol. mask and forgo the pleasures of seeing side and bottom view with only the flick of an eyelid--will also forgo the leaks---.

Joewr

WOW!!! This board is great!!! Thanx for all of the replies and keep em comin!! Ive dropped ESA from my list.Hope the future will see an advancement in its durability. I like the concept.

I've got the quattros and, while they're a great fin as far as propulsion etc goes, sometimes I feel I'd like something a little stiffer.

Suppose it horses for courses

Linda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom