Mask clearing problems.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my recent rescue class, we did an exercise (as a refresher) that got you comfortable with clearing pretty quickly. The entire class (about 10 with instructor and DMs) sat in a circle on the bottom. Take your mask off, pass it left. Take the one from your right, figure it out, put it on and clear it. Go around the circle a couple of times until you get yours back.

Granted, a bit intense for a new student, but between clearing multiple masks, and the periods of needing to breath with no mask, it was a darn fast refresher, and good confidence builder.

When I certed in 1978, stuff like this would have been the norm, but not any more . . . at least not in OW.

- Tim

Can anyone comment on learning to clear a mask in salt water vs fresh? We attempted to get certified here at home (Charlotte NC) but, long story, it did not work out. We have decided to complete the OW portion at a resort in Long Island Bahamas next spring. We recently returned from what was supposed to be a dive trip to the Bahamas and while snorkeling I tried practicing mask clearing. The salt water does hurt my eyes a bit. Is it something you get used to? Many, many years ago when I used to go to FL a few times a year for surfing I remember being able to dive under the waves and not have to wipe my eyes when coming out of the water. I don't feel comfortable really doing that any more. I know mask clearing will be my biggest challenge during the certification dive so I really hope the salt water will not be an issue.

The process is the same for salt water. I will make a suggestion though. Before you try anything, open your eyes under water without a mask. If you get a little salt water in dry eyes it really seems to burn. If you "go for it" with wide open eyes it is much better on your eyes. Maybe it's like pulling the old bandaid off all at once... It really hurts less!! Have fun.

Salt water burns your eyes? I can't seem to remember when that was.:D

That made me laugh. No, I do not have stubble growing on my face!!!! Not yet anyway!!!!

Do you have stubble growing on your face? It was around my tenth dive and I could not clear my mask, hard as I tried. I went to the surface three times that dive just to empty the mask out. Normally all I do is exhale out of my nose, but the whiskers weren't letting the mask seal around my face. So try shaving before your next dive

I didn't have problems with the mask underwater. It's amazing how quickly you learn to breathe through your mouth and self-plug your nose when around people that like microwaving vile smelling things for lunch every day. :)

I didn't have a real hassle with mask clearing, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I especially struggled with water left in the nose pocket, it always felt like it was going up my nose.
Two dives cured me of that
a) One dive i did with a borrowed mask that leaked like a sieve. I had the choice - clear it every 30 seconds, or thumb an amazing tropical dive. I chose to clear the mask
b) My first cold water dive I had the same problem - the mask just wouldn't stop leaking like a sieve. And when it's cold water.. man you know it. Half way through the dive i figured my mask edge was catching on my hood :) Not something they teach you when you learn to dive in the tropics.
Together, i would have done 100 mask clears on those two dives. Now i am completely comfortable with water in the mask, but can also clear it in just about any position.
Not suggesting either of those methods as a practice technique though :)

A very common problem, you are not alone. Fortunately there is an easy solution: all you need to do is learn to independently control your nose and mouth. That really easy to do.

You can even do this at home if need be. Take a full breath and exhale a short sharp burst through your mouth, immediately follow it with one from your nose, one from your mouth, one from your nose and so on until you run out of air. Now repeat the exercise with your face in the water (even a tub will do). Don't stop just because you think your comfortable doing it, 95% confidence that you'll be able to clear your mask without any issue, ever, requires 17 sessions with this skill. When you go to clear your mask in the pool, look down, start with a short sharp burst through your mouth into your regulator and immediately follow it with one from your nose and as you blow through your nose gently press the top of your mask to your face and bring your head up. Your mask will be clear. Later you can dispense with the air into the regulator first.

Thal...something I don't understand here. How does blowing out thru your mouth then your nose help with mask clearing. I will be going thru this soon and I am not following you on this exercise.

Thanks,
Rollin

Back
Top Bottom