Mask clearing problems.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to say I agree with what everyone on here is saying. This is the only skill I struggled with, and at one point felt that it just wasn't going to happen - and it was precisely because I was being told to keep my head tipped back the entire time. That just makes water sluice down your nose... Found it was incredibly simple if I just tipped my head forward to breathe in thru the reg, then tip back (as needed) to actually clear it. Then it was nothing at all.

A few years ago I was doing skills with an instructor friend of mine. We removed our masks and exchanged them. I felt for the nose pocket on hers, put the mask on and cleared it. She started laughing at me... I had it on upside-down (yet it still sealed and cleared). However, I don't recommend trying that!

Can anyone comment on learning to clear a mask in salt water vs fresh? We attempted to get certified here at home (Charlotte NC) but, long story, it did not work out. We have decided to complete the OW portion at a resort in Long Island Bahamas next spring. We recently returned from what was supposed to be a dive trip to the Bahamas and while snorkeling I tried practicing mask clearing. The salt water does hurt my eyes a bit. Is it something you get used to? Many, many years ago when I used to go to FL a few times a year for surfing I remember being able to dive under the waves and not have to wipe my eyes when coming out of the water. I don't feel comfortable really doing that any more. I know mask clearing will be my biggest challenge during the certification dive so I really hope the salt water will not be an issue.

Instructors I've team-taught with, and myself, don't mind the student keeping their eyes closed.

Under the PADI system, there is no Performance Requirement to keep your eyes open.

So in summary: keep your eyes closed.

I have seen people have their photos taken with their regs out, masks off and smiling with open eyes for the camera - so it can be done but it's not mandatory.

PRACTICAL:

Risk of getting my mask kicked off: If someone's fins become close then I raise my forearm (one or both, depending on the circumstances) to my forearm gets kicked instead of my mask.

In the unlikely event of my mask coming off (e.g. kicked off, or mask strap failure) whilst in salt water, I'll just close my eyes, and if I'm in an unusual attitude (nostrils facing up) I might even pinch my nostrils to prevent water going up them; I'd then figure it out from there (including just stopping and waiting for my buddy to come to me).

The most important thing you can do is what's taught in Rescue Course: In the event of an incident:
- STOP - i.e. don't have an instinctive reaction e.g. bolt for the surface, it's not necessary
- Breath - keep breathing, never hold your breath, keep the reg in your mouth
- Think - about what to do next, including waiting for your buddy to come over
- Act - act on your consciously thought out action plan

I think that one of the biggest problems students have with mask clearing is that the "official" instructions for how to do it are not really appropriate to the way it is traditionally taught.

By this I am referring especially to the instructions to tilt your head back. The idea is that a diver who is diving in a normal horizontal position needs to tilt the head back to get it to a vertical position so that the water will run out the bottom of the mask--the lowest point. If a diver who is diving in a normal horizontal position does not tip the head back, the inside of the mask will be the lowest point, and water will stay trapped in it.

Unfortunately, these skills are usually introduced to divers who are kneeling in a vertical position. That means that the head is already in a vertical position, with the bottom of the mask the lowest point. Tipping the head back is unnecessary. In fact, tipping the head back to an extreme can be very counterproductive. Teaching mask clearing in a kneeling position allows the diver to clear the mask with poor technique, and it is harmful to learning good technique.

I saw this clearly when I stopped teaching any skills on the knees and instead had students in a horizontal position, lightly buoyant, on the pool floor. When you see how dramatically different skills are when done in a true diving position, you can never go back to instructing on the knees.

I think I might have read your post in this thread because at the weekend when I was assigned a very nervous student who had problems with mask clearing I mentioned this exact point.

The student's issue was that during the head-tilt-back at the end, a tiny little drop of water would trickle at the end into her nostril, causing her to become uncomfortable.

I covered exactly boulderjohn's point. But what I didn't do is do it from a fin-pivot which might have been even more useful.

So boulderjohn I think I'm going to align with you too. I'll cross-check with the Course Director (it's his school I teach at) to make sure I'm not doing anything he wouldn't approve of, but I'm with you on this one.

(edit) - The student got it and passed the underwater swim without a mask. I was brought in to do CW4 and 5 and I noticed that the underwater swim went perfect but it was the mask clearing at the end which caused the bolt to the surface. By breaking down the mask clearing separately into the individual steps I've mentioned elsewhere, the student got it: at the end of the underwater swim they replaced the mask, you could tell they were slowly going through things in their head as to the next steps (stop, breath, think, act), and then 1, 2, 3 they cleared their mask and whoop! the skill was complete. The student was walking around with smiles back at the shop :)

So boulderjohn I think I'm going to align with you too. I'll cross-check with the Course Director (it's his school I teach at) to make sure I'm not doing anything he wouldn't approve of, but I'm with you on this one.
The approach I described was detailed by a group of us in an article we published in the second quarter 2011 edition of the Undersea Journal, PADI's magazine for professionals. One of the co-authors was Karl Shreeves of PADI. That should explode the myth that PADI requires that instruction be done on the knees.

The approach I described was detailed by a group of us in an article we published in the second quarter 2011 edition of the Undersea Journal, PADI's magazine for professionals. One of the co-authors was Karl Shreeves of PADI. That should explode the myth that PADI requires that instruction be done on the knees.

Aha - I joined padi (DM) just recently in June/July so Q3 2011 was my first Undersea Journal; and in the shop I borrowed Q1. I've simply missed Q2 so I'll grab that from them when I'm next there after Christmas.

Thank you for your advice!! I'm all for making it simple and stress free for the student.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom