Mask fit issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take Dano at @MAKO Spearguns up on his offer. They really are a no BS guarantee and you have nothing to lose. I'm kind of an expert on masks that don't fit. I have deep set eyes, a cro-magnon forehead, and something going on with my nose that most masks hit the upper bridge and are very uncomfortable. 99% of the masks at any price range don't fit me. The Makos were not deep enough around my eyes but my wife loved them.

The Makos did not work for me, but one phone call and they sent me a return shipping label and refunded my purchase, including shipping, before they received the masks. Great quality and a great company.

The mask I use is the "rescue" 3 window mask that was popular in the late 70's. It fits reasonably well but is huge. I also have a full faced mask for team work and it has never leaked ever. But full faced masks have their drawbacks too.

I wonder if your mouthpiece could be causing a problem, you might try a comfobite style which is smaller, or trimmining the top of your mouthpiece to lessen the distortion on your upper lip. There are dozens of mouthpiece styles and they are cheap. Find one you like and pop it in when you try on a mask.

Masks are not one size fits all for guys like us. The only solution is to try every mask you can find and see if you like it. In the olden days....before the virus....I asked to try several as we were on dive boats. I tried every rental mask in any dive shop I could. I bet I have tried on over 200 masks and have found exactly 3 that fit well. I actually found the mask I use in a pile of old masks somewhere. It just had not been thrown away yet.

The good news is that there is a mask out there somewhere that will fit....the bad news is you just have to find it.

Good luck, on the upside...a little water in your mask makes fogging a non-issue. Look down, swish the water on the lens and BADDA BING no more fogging!!!

If you can get to a trade show that Trident is at, they have more masks available than anyone. They are cheap, probably made in China, but are of reasonable quality for the price. I found 2 there that fit pretty well (on land).

Good luck in your search!

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom