Mask holder and whistle holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I experienced two minor annoyances recently, and I'm wondering about whether a little equipment addition might help. First, my new dry suit has a neck ring (for replacing the seal). It turns out that when I pull my mask off and down around my neck, there isn't as much room for it because of that dry suit neck ring, and the mask gets pushed up into my chin. Someone suggested that a friend of theirs clips their mask on a coiled, stretchy lanyard attached to a BCD strap, when it's not on their face. Has anyone heard of a good, specific product that would fill that role? Second, I have a whistle, and girth hitched it onto a D ring by the tether. But then it flops around and gets tangled in things. It's one of those flattish, rectangular whistles. Any ideas on good ways to attach and stow it? Thanks.

I usually just wear my mask while I'm in the water, and keep it stowed in my fin pockets on the surface. My whistle is attached to my BC inflator hose with a hose retainer.

I personally would not use a lanyard for my mask since I think the risk of entanglement is greater and I would not want it pulled off my face unexpectedly but if you want to:
Coil Lanyards

When I'm not wearing my mask on my face, I stuff in one of my fins' footpocket. It's both out of the way, and protected against scratches.

You can also try pulling the mask to the side of your neck instead of carrying it under your chin, or you can wear it on the back of your head.

For the whistle, I have mine attached to my corrugated hose of my wing...I have small loop of 1/8th inch bungee through the hole in the end of the whistle that is then slipped over the inflator and corrugated hose. I use a band cut from a mountain bike inner tube to keep it flat against the corrugated hose and out of the way but ready for if/when it is needed. This is the type of whistle I have (if I remember this evening, I will snap a picture of my setup and post it tonight when I am at the pool):

upload_2019-4-25_13-38-50.jpeg

-Z

I usually keep an unused large double ended snap bolt on my right chest d ring stow things like a mask. Also used for camera, dive light, and anything else I don't want in my hand at the moment.

I zip tied my whistle to my bcd tube. I like the idea to use an inner tube band to keep things trim. I'll have to add that on tomorrow.

I experienced two minor annoyances recently, and I'm wondering about whether a little equipment addition might help. First, my new dry suit has a neck ring (for replacing the seal). It turns out that when I pull my mask off and down around my neck, there isn't as much room for it because of that dry suit neck ring, and the mask gets pushed up into my chin. Someone suggested that a friend of theirs clips their mask on a coiled, stretchy lanyard attached to a BCD strap, when it's not on their face. Has anyone heard of a good, specific product that would fill that role? Second, I have a whistle, and girth hitched it onto a D ring by the tether. But then it flops around and gets tangled in things. It's one of those flattish, rectangular whistles. Any ideas on good ways to attach and stow it? Thanks.
I'm gonna say it... Just wear your mask on your forehead! And when someone asks if you're okay or if you need assistance? Tell them to get you a beer or make you a sandwich. :wink:

Bungee your whistle to your corrugated inflator hose and tuck it under that hose and the BC low pressure inflator hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom