Mask Leaking due to facial hair??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not at all...

plus a smaller, low-volume mask is much easier to clear

however, that's just me

i know some people who continue to have problems... your product may help

I have a goatee. I found it was really simple - get a good fitting mask, and if necessary, shave a thin line just under your nose. Just a trim job, really. I haven't had a problem since, and I sure wouldn't pay money to fix a non-existent problem..

With respect to "Dive Right In Scuba," I don't know anything about your product... but - Please don't join the army of gimmick *****s. This industry is just chock full of gimmicks. As in - useless items that dive shops sell to unsuspecting scuba noobies after telling them they 'need' it.

I have trouble with finding a mask that does not leak. I like a mask that will not have to be cleared more than once or twice in an entire dive. I suspect that the mustache doesn't help. I have found that if I don't shave my cheeks, I will get some pretty bad leaking. How a mask seals perfectly over a mustache (without any type of goop or shaving) and then leaks from some stubble on my cheeks is hard to explain.

H2Andy:
yeah... you need a smaller mask and tighten it a bit more, and it works

Have to believe Andy. I mean take a look at his picture/avatar.:D Thats facial hair for you.

I dive in very warm water. Sometimes I even fill my mask to cool off my face(after strenuous activity). I do not mind clearing my mask more than a couple times a dive. I do not like to fill up my dive bag with items, especially small items. So for me, I will never bring or buy a product to solve this situation.

Boogie711:
I have a goatee. I found it was really simple - get a good fitting mask, and if necessary, shave a thin line just under your nose. Just a trim job, really. I haven't had a problem since, and I sure wouldn't pay money to fix a non-existent problem..

With respect to "Dive Right In Scuba," I don't know anything about your product... but - Please don't join the army of gimmick *****s. This industry is just chock full of gimmicks. As in - useless items that dive shops sell to unsuspecting scuba noobies after telling them they 'need' it.

Well considering that I have tested this in my shop to Fire Departments, Police, and other people that have been asking for something like this and are extremely happy with how it works, I dont think its a gimmick! Dive Right In Scuba is a Scuba Store Located in IL....And yes you can shave and Im glad that it works for you, but some of my customers want something like this, Im not making this to sell and rip off newbies!! And its sad that people do that, but that is any industry not just scuba.....Do you use defor in your mask or do you spit? People have and did say the same things about defog...."Well I can just spit, it does the same thing" Thanks to everyone for your opinions.....and when you find that you dont have to shave and have been using my product.....Dont worry about a thank you:D

LOL - dude, I said we didn't know anything about this mythical wonderproduct... but judging by your defensive nature, that's one heck of a way to convince us!

Someone needs to spend less time developing products for non-existing problems and maybe more time relaxing? Sheesh!

Dive Right In Scuba:
Well considering that I have tested this in my shop to Fire Departments, Police, and other people that have been asking for something like this and are extremely happy with how it works, I dont think its a gimmick! Dive Right In Scuba is a Scuba Store Located in IL....And yes you can shave and Im glad that it works for you, but some of my customers want something like this, Im not making this to sell and rip off newbies!! And its sad that people do that, but that is any industry not just scuba.....Do you use defor in your mask or do you spit? People have and did say the same things about defog...."Well I can just spit, it does the same thing" Thanks to everyone for your opinions.....and when you find that you dont have to shave and have been using my product.....Dont worry about a thank you:D

Let me know when your product is available. I will definitely give it a go

Boogie711:
LOL - dude, I said we didn't know anything about this mythical wonderproduct... but judging by your defensive nature, that's one heck of a way to convince us!

Wasnt meant to be defensive and Im sorry it was taken that way.....Didnt think a smiley face was defensive. Thats one problem with typing and not knowing a person, some things can be taken the wrong way. Again I am sorry

I know I havent revealed too much about this product......but its a silicon based gel, that will not harm a mask(like vasoline), will not leave a rash( well at least not yet on over a thousand uses and different people), seals your face from leaks from smile marks on your face, facial hair, and other various wrinkles that we can unfortunately get over time.....and when your done, washes off as simple as the snot you will have accumulated from diving(hate that) but wont come off while just diving......:14: I have had nothing but positives so far, but its still in testing.....If you would like to try some PM me, I have some samples I can send out......:14:

The first mask I ever bought works fine with my facial hair. It does leak more, but not enough for me to really notice, I just exhale through my nose a little bit more and it keeps it clear.

I got a low volume mask with a black skirt recently hoping I can use it to replace my other one. Unfortunately it seems to leak a bit more around the stash. Havn't had enough time to really play with it, but I think the lower volume is a bit of a problem since with the higher volume mask I have a bit more room around the nose so a little bit of leakage is less of a problem. Your gel might help.

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom