Mask Leaking due to facial hair??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right - You must be commend both from a customer service stand point and also from an inventiveness perspective. I tried the capstick and vasoline but two different masks still had a leaking problem. Keeping the moustache closely trimmed was not working either.

Last resort... clean shaven, 20 years with a mustache gone in a few seconds with a trimmer.

Dive Right In Scuba:
I know I havent revealed too much about this product......but its a silicon based gel, that will not harm a mask(like vasoline). . .
I can't remember the vendor right off hand, but somebody already sells silicon based gel in a chapstick tube to the dive industry.

Why is anyone worried about a little leaking in their mask? So it leaks, learn to clear it.

Sundiver:
A slight positive pressure in your mask prevents leaking- unless you have excessive forehead hair or swim upside down a lot. :D
Actually with my one mask I can swim upside down and it still doesn't leak much. I believe I do keep a positive pressure in my mask. I do funny things when killing time in the pool during the play time in the OW classes I help with. Standing on your head while neutrally bouyant can be fun sometimes :) I also sometimes find funny swimming positions such as upside down to be useful while doing underwater video work.

~Jess

I hate shaving, so I usually have to clear on descent, seems to flood mainly at this time, since I'm horizontal if I get a little leakage during the dive I clear so I can see properly, maybe 2-3x's during a dive. Cinching up the mask strap a click or two has helped as does the initial clearing after descent, seats the mask properly, pressure makes a nice seal usually, I don't have Tom Selleck stache either :wink:. No biggie, personally I'd rather shave than smother a bunch-o-gunk on my face. :D.

FWIW My OW Instructor told a classmate to use moustache wax before diving.

-Garrett

[/quote]
FWIW My OW Instructor told a classmate to use moustache wax before diving.

-Garrett[/quote]

Well when my product comes out your instructor could say....Buy this when we get back from diving........we got it in the shop its only $5........instead of sending money to another store :wink: Well thats my plan anyway.......

I have a mustache, and don't have a lot of leak issues. If my mask leaks I'll clear it. I always forget to bring chapstick. Likely even if I love this product, I'd forget that as well.

I'm willing to try it however! :D

I use the Walter approach, mask leaks, clear. The only time this is an issue is if I'm in very cold water. I hate flooding my mask in 50F water, and would rather it just not leak.

I tried on the new Atomic masks the other day.. nice. Not $100 of nice however, so I guess I'll stay with the XVision for a while.

I have the new atomic mask and I fell in love with it.....the clarity with the glass is impeccable!! It really is worth the $100.......

Im going to be bringing in this line in Jan or Feb so if you still want one Ron....I will take care of you for less than $100 :wink:

I'm sure it may be a fine product, best of luck 2 ya, but talk about a niche of a niche of a niche market! Got a name for the product yet?

Sorry, I just have this vision of Clifford Franklin (Orlando Jones) in The Replacements (2000)

"Now you know this don't look natural [Insert Instructor or LDS employee name here]. now you know it don't... I look like I just jacked off an elephant. And you want me to rub it all over my moustache?!"

or a Got Milk? type ad in the dive rags :rofl3:

-Garrett

So how much of this stuff does one get for $5? I am going to try it, but after everyones suggestions for chapstick I am starting to think that there may be some profit in selling relabeled burt's bees wax. It is made from natural stuff like bee's wax so I would think that it wouldn't harm the mask skirt like vasoline could, also seems like it would have a very low chance of causing a rash, but I don't really know.

Just a thought, I plan on trying out a few of these options with my new mask. If I don't like them then I will stick with my old mask, maybe get one in black, but I would like something lower volume since it tends to ride up a bit and push on the nose when vertical.

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom