Mask leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The position of the mask strap on the back if your head can also make a big difference. I often start a dive with a leaking mask and adjust the position of the strap on the back of my head until I find the sweet spot and I get no leaks after that.

I also found out during my dive course (in 1978) that laughing (had a humorous instructor) makes my mask leak so I have taken a more serious attitude to diving. :wink:

Just donated 8 really nice dive masks to our LDS that I have accumulated over the last 2 years in search of the "Holy Grail" of masks that don't leak. I find that adding a little over pressure to buy current mask as I get deeper seems to help, as well as bikini razoring under my nose, swabbing the top of my mustache with Petroleum Jelly (borrowed my daughters strawberry flavored Jelly last dive, and it made the end of the dive smell nice, but left a distinct red smear below my nose...), and pushing the lower skirt up against the bridge of my nose. Then the leaking is tolerable.

The issue is that many masks have very short skirts under the nose.
I just had a student with an Atomic mask (can't remember the model) with issues. He had been having problems with it leaking in the pool so I gave him my spare Edge Max Vision Ultra mask and he had no leaks. I noticed that below the nose on the Atomic there was barely any skirt below the nose, the Edge mask had quite a bit more.

Apart from basic fit, the main issues (as others have said)

Strap too tight

Strap offset - it's been tightened too much on one side so the headband is trying to pull the mask around yoru face

Back of strap too high/low on your head, twisting mask in a vertical direction.

The mask I totally recommend to everyone is the Beuchat Maxlux S. I have 3 now in different colours. I've got a (large ish) collection of other masks which I've used and that have been okay but even my high priced Atomic isn't as good. - Often I want another shiney bit of dive gear hence lots of masks :wink:

The Beuchat has a really soft skirt (first mask to give me a squeeze) and it just works. I carry a spare, and if a student having mask issues I give them my spare and they're sorted.

I have no interests in Beuchat - but I can't recommend that mask highly enough (it's only mid range priced too)

Hello.
I am having an issue with my masks leaking around my nose. I suspect the issue is due to the "laugh lines" between my nose and mouth. I'm looking for DIY fixes since this is happening with 4 different masks. All of them "fit" when I place the mask to my face and breath in through my nose. I hear a small wind sound with one of them but not the other 3. The issues seems to present itself once I place the reg in my mouth (slightly altering the lines of my mouth). I've read about guys with mustaches using Vasoline, lip balm, silicone grease, beeswax and beard products to help with leaks due to their facial hair. Would any of these help to seal the tiny leak that apparently forms with my face? If so, which, in your learned opinions, would be best? Mind you, I'd like to stay away from Vasoline (petroleum jelly).

Thanks!

Try gue.tv, I believe you can sign up for a 3 day trail, there are some decent videos in there regarding mask fitting, might help

I just tried another dive with the mask. I used some un-petroleum jelly (feels exactly like VasEline (since some find it so important to correct typos)) but no negative effects on the silicone. Unfortunately, no effects on my leak issue. Please don't get me wrong, I'm use to some water inside my mask, that doesn't bother me, it's just the last two masks I tried I could honestly feel a flow coming in my mask. I have learned my lesson and will NEVER buy a mask online. A mask is something that needs to be fitted, and fitted with a reg in your my mouth. I'm really disappointed because I love the feel and the vision of this mask but I'm gonna have to find a different one. Thanks for all the tips!!

Just donated 8 really nice dive masks to our LDS that I have accumulated over the last 2 years in search of the "Holy Grail" of masks that don't leak. I find that adding a little over pressure to buy current mask as I get deeper seems to help, as well as bikini razoring under my nose, swabbing the top of my mustache with Petroleum Jelly (borrowed my daughters strawberry flavored Jelly last dive, and it made the end of the dive smell nice, but left a distinct red smear below my nose...), and pushing the lower skirt up against the bridge of my nose. Then the leaking is tolerable.

OK, after donating 8 masks, which mask did you settle on, what mask was your "keeper" ?

I am currently using the XS Scuba Gauge Reader Mask. Its not perfect and it still leaks some, which is due in part to the size of my nose and the hair that is below it...

I have had good luck with the Mares One, but can't see past the end of my nose without cheaters.
I am still on the hunt for a waterproof mask, and my LDS is very happy about that! :rofl3:

Quick note to say that I feel your pain. What I can say is that once I found "the" mask (Sherwood Vida), diving was so much more enjoyable. It still leaks (mostly depending on the state of my 5 o'clock shadow), but in a 60 minute dive I may have to clear the mask once, as opposed to constantly like with the multitude of other masks I bought that had that perfect fit at the LDS. One of my bigger lessons in scuba - more $$$ does not necessarily equal better for me. 'course after reading this thread, I will have to seek out the Beuchat....

Depending on what's causing the leak, looking into Masks with less soft silicone could help. I have a pretty big head with beard and moustache. The only Mask that doesn't leak for me, no matter how out of control my beard and moustache get, is the old 'cressi superocchio'. Sadly it isn't as good field of vision-wise as modern Masks.

Now this only works when diving regulators with normal mouthpieces... When I dive my cyklons which have considerably bigger mouthpieces I get leaks with all Masks except the scubapro Frameless. Which then in turn leaks again when I use the smaller regulator mouthpieces.

One thing for me that i've noticed throughout all the trial and error with Masks, is that the super soft silicone ones always leak for me ( probably due to the beard+moustache).

As said by the People above, try it on with a reg in your mouth and also make sure you don't overtighten the Mask. This Will also cause leaks .if you're using a hood don't forget to flip the hood over the Mask skirt btw!

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but maybe try out an older type Mask : because less flexible silicone will seal better against a beard.

You could also go for the Amish style no moustache chin beard if you're very dedicated to solving the issue :D.

Screenshot_20201111-090206.png

Back
Top Bottom