Mask lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering what the general feeling is on mask lights? I was thinking about getting a low wattage cheap light for reading gauges, slates, and generally seeing close up stuff without blasting my eyes by using the primary.

The pros I can see are ease of use, not blinding myself, and keeping the primary in the constant spot so my buddy doesn't get distracted when I am moving it around to see gauges and so forth.

The cons would be that I could inadvertanly shine the light at other divers when looking at them.

I was thinking of maybe adding a red filter to offset the cons, but don't know if that is really needed or if the whole idea of a mask light is silly.

I think mask lights present a problem in that it is hard to control where the light is pointing, and you can blind a buddy. Your can choose to NOT look at your buddy, but that is not a great rule to live by.

I dive with a 10W HID, hand mounted, and it;s not a problem to just shine the light on my gauge. My Epic has a good backlight built in, so that works as well.

there are several options on the subject, I used a pelican light on my mask for some time but I have switched to a helmet with 2 backup lights mounted on it and a spot for my primary too.

you will blind people, happens all the time, so I treat it like one more reason to dive solo... or just throw your hand over the light if you need to look someone in the eyes.

it is handy, though not necessary at all. I found its nicer to have a light with a switch verses a twist on light, then I can just turn it on when I need it.

some lights come with mounts for mask strap attachment yet others do not, I would suggest you look for one that does just so you dont have to rig something up.

I wear (2) tech 40 halogens on my hood and have for at least a year now. They are ziptied to holes burned on each side. I wear my mask under my hood. Both are angled slightly down and are used for reading my computers (one on each wrist). When on the move (especially when scootering, or being blown out in a high flow cave) taking my primary off of the cave ahead can create a problem. Mask lights have their place in certain instances. If I were in something very small I may not use it on that dive, but then I would not be scootering and using my primary would be just as easy. It is very convenient having mask / hood lights as just a tip of your head makes seeing gauges and computers easy. My halogens also don't seem to have the same blinding effect if I happen to look at someone.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom