Mask Mist Myths?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
OK.......I'VE HAD IT!!!!
I've had my mask since I started diving 3 years ago. I feel kinda attached to it as its taken me through so good dives...and some I'd care not to mention!

But I have a problem. Its been a problem for probably about a year now and I have ignored it but its either time to find a solution or its time to wave bye bye!

My mask is terrible for misting up....I have had so much suggested. I have used toothpaste, the juice from a potato - which doesnt smell nice while diving, different types of cleaning products, mask cleaning wipes....non seems to work.

Is it that my spit isnt good enough???? I have even had other peoples spit rubbed round my mask but it makes no difference.

I don't want to loose my baby...doesnt anyone have any suggestions...other than the bin?

Try shaving cream. Rub it on, wipe it off. Works great on the bathroom mirror during showers too! (I assume you've tried commercial preps like Sea Drops.)

I was told to try shaving gel - which had no affect. Although it contained methol so after trying it my nose was always clear when i was diving.....

So if you suffer from a running nose while diving....put a bit of mentol in the mask before and you'll be fine....doesnt help a misty mask tho!!!

Thanks for the advice tho Bruce xxx

Have you tried the baby shampoo as a defog?

It was a baby all over wash!!!!!
I am seeing legs growing on my mask and it taking itself to the bin lol xxxx

Sentimental over a mask? O. K.

Remember, you asked; so, save the emotions for your sweetie or some other animate object; if the mask isn't performing it's duty it's outta here.

Betterlatethannever.....your full of heart (!?)

Scubababy,

I used to have the same problem you did with my mask. I tried the toothpaste and the spit and Aquaseal Sea Drops. None of it worked. I was constantly having to flood and clear my mask. Then the LDS recommended Aquaseal Sea Gold. I told him that the Sea Drops were useless for me, and I was reluctant to use this product because it was made by the same company. I tried it, and it does work for me. It is a clear gel. Rub it on inside and out (real thick), and rinse just before you dive. It works good, but keep it with you. If you flood your mask too much, you'll have to reapply. It's worth a shot.

Zagnut

I havent heard of that before....I know where I'm off to tomorrow....lets just hope I can find someone who stocks it!!!!

and a product called 500 psi. Worked wonders for me. I had trouble prior to this regardless of what I tried. Not sure you have Dawn or 500 psi on the other side of the Atlantic.

Back
Top Bottom