Mask noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tralfamadore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've noticed my new Atomic fameless 2 mask makes a lot of noise when diving. I've now attributed the noise to bubbles from my regulator entering and leaving the mask. When fitted properly the mask seals very well and allows no water to enter. Tightening the mask stops the noise however the mask is then so tight that the glass is pressed up against my brow.

Has anyone had this experience? Is it possible the mask is just not sealing well enough?

While the noise is not detrimental to the dive it is quite annoying.

Last edited:
Consciously block your nasal passage immediately after each breath and see if the problem resolves...

I've tried another experiment ruling out that problem. During my exhales I would remove my regulator and breath out. When doing this the noise stops.

I have had this problem, too. However when I put my mouth totally over the regulator mouthpiece, the noise stops. I agree that it is bubbles entering the mask somehow.

...//... I've now attributed the noise to bubbles from my regulator entering and leaving the mask. ...//...
...//... I agree that it is bubbles entering the mask somehow.
I haven't been on the board much, but this thread is just too fun to pass on.

My next dive will be spent trying to get bubbles to enter my mask....

Any progress to report?

I remain convinced that it is you, not the mask, that isn't sealing well enough.
Recenty found this, best explanation I've ever seen...

https://folk.uio.no/gardot/frenzel.pdf

I'll be diving at the Exmouth Navy Pier next week so we will see then. I've been in the water with my mask and snorkel trying to replicate the problem but haven't had any success.

I appreciate the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom