Mask restoration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mazeoffury

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An older mask was donated for discover scuba and the skirt is gummy and sticky. Is there a way to restore it and remove the gummy sticky layer? (It will only be used for pool use)

Attachments

• 20191218_103119.jpg
    20191218_103119.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 65
Some silicone formulations are more stable than others, is the surmise I've come to. I've not dealt with masks, but have had other silicone items that sat in the heat and sun do what you describe. I was able to clean one up, but I don't recall thinking it was likely to stay that way. Unless yours is just dirty with something else. I can't recall now what did the trick, but I'm sure I would have tried hot soapy water, 91% isopropanol, and acetone or MEK. If those didn't do the trick I would have moved on to something moderately acidic, like white vinegar or even diluted pool acid, or something moderately basic like diluted sodium hydroxide (Drano crystals). Wearing nitrile gloves and eye protection for all, at all times of course. I really don't recall it being acid or base, so probably one of the first three.

Sorry I can't be more specific, other than to say I was able to remove a lot of the gumminess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom