Mask skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fedfirediver

INSTRCUTOR
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok all:

I have been diving for a short while and i keep hearing the fight between clear skirt vs black skirt.

So I will ask the for comments on this subject. I dive both and I tend to dive with the black skirt more.

So let the rain begain:cool2:

Black skirts tend to make it easier to see, especially in dim conditions
... with a clear skirt, more light on the inside surface of the lens, makes looking through it harder ... taken to extreme, look through a window in your house at the nighttime scene outside, the more light in the room with you, the harder it is to see outside

A clear skirt can help you keep track of your buddy if he's beside you

I have two identical masks, clear and black skirted ... I find myself using my black skirted mask

Black and clear aren't the only options available when it comes to mask skirts...
wpe119f4e6.png

I say black. I don't like the semi-transparency of the clear skirt or the clear skirts tendency to discolor. With the black skirt you don't have any weird reflection issues and your FOV is more focused.

Clear skirt reflects everything, even your own skin, and while you can get/see extra info from the sides you can't see it clear, it's ends up being more of a distraction than help. Extra light coming in is no help, I think it's actually a hindrance in dark water (you want to the light at the object you are looking at, not at your eyes).

Clear skirt gets yellow, I dislike.
Black skirts are often softer silicone and contour better to face, I like.
Black skirts are cooler, most important :D

OK, I'll step into the firing squad. I dive only the clear silicone, but I keep it clean and out of the sun (that will yellow it, along with natural age). Since I spearfish, I like my ScubaPro mask with it's sideports. I can see fish, or a buddy without turning my head.

OK, blindfold is on..........I'm ready!

Black is more slimming but gray is better. N

I have 2 reasons for diving a black skirted mask: 1) It stops the annoying (to me) reflection I get (and tend to try to focus on at times), and 2) hides the mask soup!

Why I used to dive a clear mask: it was sold to me and at the time was only concerned about fit. Now I have the mask(s) that fit right and like the viz improvement I get with the black. Again, just an opinion!

:rofl3:
Ok all:

I have been diving for a short while and i keep hearing the fight between clear skirt vs black skirt.

So I will ask the for comments on this subject. I dive both and I tend to dive with the black skirt more.

So let the rain begain:cool2:

I prefer black skirts, but honestly it just depends on the woman in the skirt more than the skirt itself....oooops, you meant mask skirts!! :D

I prefer black mask skirts too :)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom