Mask troubles.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msinc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Started out with a TUSA Freedom HD and it works good. Decided to try out a frameless and I like the idea of Schott glass. It works great in high end optics so it has to be good in a diving mask. I got a Venom and I really like the way it fits, but I seem to have developed an issue....first problem was fogging. When I bought the TUSA the guy at the dive shop in the Keys recommended a product called "Sea Buff". I used it.....once....the mask really didn't fog, so I thought that was it.
Fast forward to the present and the Venom was fogging constantly. Read up on masks fogging and cleaned it several more times and now the problem is solved. I guess some masks are just worse than others about needing to be cleaned.
Now to the real problem, I could not get the Venom to stop leaking. Here is the thing, I can snorkel around all day and it wont leak a drop, but slap on a tank and go 10 ft. deep and it will leak pretty good. I believe this is something I am doing wrong because now the TUSA is doing the same thing. Both masks feel really good to wear and I know they will seal. If I had trouble with the Venom I could always do my next dive with the TUSA and it wouldn't leak, but not any more. Again, can snorkel around and dive down to 10 ft. no problem but on scuba they leak....what am I doing wrong???? Thanks in advance for any info.

Is it possible your not equalizing the mask as you descend, the water pressure would deform the skirt and make leaks. Squirting a little air through your nose on the decent keeps the mask as "full" of air as at the surface so the seal should be maintained at any depth. Another idea, is your SCUBA regulator changing the mask position any way or changing the shape of your upper lip to break the seal? I have a mask that is fine snorkeling or freediving but doesn't work with the larger mouthpiece of a scuba reg in my mouth.

Those are my ideas. Good luck.

CCameron

The reg mouthpiece as northernone said also make sure you don't have it too tight if it is too tight it will change the shape of your face as well. I see it all the time with students the mask leaks a little and they tighten the strap and it leaks more it only needs to be tight enough to hold it on you face the water pressure will do the rest.

Thanks fellas...I do equalize pretty frequently when I descend. I really don't let it get to the point where I can feel it in my ears or feel noticeable mask squeeze. Both the snorkel as well as the regulator I have feel kinda large for me, I cant do too much about the reg, but I have tried a snorkel with a smaller mouth piece, it didn't seem like it changed anything.
At first I tried tightening the mask and it was just like you said, it leaked worse. I have noticed that there is a very fine line with how the mask is tightened...too loose and it will move, too tight and it leaks worse. It very well could be that when I was snorkeling I happened to have it dead on just right. I have to say, if that is the case then this thing is real picky about how I wear it. The TUSA mask has a frame and I didn't have this problem before. Others have suggested that I am breathing in the mask and that is breaking the seal, but wouldn't that also make it fog??? I currently have zero issues with either mask fogging. Before, I had a lot of trouble and it was so bad I had to actually leak in a little water so I could look down and move my head around to let the water clear it. I got so I just left it with water inside so I could keep clearing the fog that way.
I will try the adjustment thing on tonight's dive and let you know how things go. Thanks again for the replies guys.

@msinc hard to say for sure.

Have you experimented with the vertical placement of the strap? I find that if the strap is placed too hgih or too low on my head, the mask will leak. I have a variety of problems with masks due to long hair, a mustache, and an unusually broad face. With time I have found that almost any mask will seal if I keep the strap fairly loose and move it up and down as needed.

Have you explored different mouthpieces for your reg? There are a variety available.

Can you feel where it comes in? I have to trim the top of my mustache. If I don't, I have to put up with it leaking when I use a regular mask.

Thanks for the replies!!! I have tried it without using the snorkel and it does not leak, but then again, it doesn't leak with it either.
I have also played around with different locations for the strap and this seems to be a pretty picky thing too...if it is too high the mask will ride up, if the strap is too low the mask will get loose and move around quite a bit. I really have to have the strap in the right place so the mask will set in one place, but it will leak no matter where I have the strap if I am breathing on the reg. I have not tried a different mouthpiece. I will look into a smaller one asap and I really did intend to do that anyway as the one I have just seems large for my mouth.
Tonight's dive was postponed until tomorrow so I was unable to try anything different. Thanks again for the replies!!!! I really like this mask and I know it can work and not leak. I am pretty sure it has to be something I am doing....just never had one act like this before. Then again, I never had a frameless mask either.

Can you feel where it comes in? I have to trim the top of my mustache. If I don't, I have to put up with it leaking when I use a regular mask.

I cannot tell for sure where the water is coming in, once I thought it was coming in from the top, but I just don't know. On the last dive it leaked pretty good and I needed to shave, I had like a day and half worth of growth. This next time I use it I will shave especially close and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

When at the surface place the mask on your face without straps and with the reg/snorkel in your mouth. If you gently suck in through your nose does the mask stay where it is? If so, you probably have a good fit. If it leaks, chances are it is not a good fit for your face. Some masks just will not work with certain face shapes and no end of playing about with straps positioning etc will help.

Certain members here have gone through dozens of masks before finding something that actually works for them (@Marie13 had particular issues).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom