Mask troubles.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try a neoprene strap for your mask. Can actually help a lot.

I think I'm on mask number 17! It was loaned to me and turned out to be the best. I have deep smile lines and needed a mask with a longer skirt. Too many of the masks have short skirts. ScubaPro Spectra is the one that worked for me. It's just been discontinued so I got the Synergy Twin. Leaks a bit more than the Spectra, but I need to dive with it more and see if I have to position it better. I bought the loaned mask from its owner!

When at the surface place the mask on your face without straps and with the reg/snorkel in your mouth. If you gently suck in through your nose does the mask stay where it is? If so, you probably have a good fit. If it leaks, chances are it is not a good fit for your face. Some masks just will not work with certain face shapes and no end of playing about with straps positioning etc will help.

Certain members here have gone through dozens of masks before finding something that actually works for them (@Marie13 had particular issues).

I have not tried this yet, but tonight I will. I have to ask though, doesn't holding a negative pressure seal {with or without a strap} have to do at least as much with your ability to close off your soft palate and keep it closed as it does with fit??? I mean, I know it doesn't matter if it stops the leak and I have considered this because sometimes this mask does not leak when I use it. It is very hard to tell when on a dive if I am not maintaining negative pressure all the time. Also, it seems like I shouldn't have to do that constantly if the mask is not leaking.
I have heard stories of dive instructors that are able to demonstrate by doing a dive with a strapless mask. Don't get me wrong, I would like to be one of them....but I doubt that is going to happen with me and any mask.

Try a neoprene strap for your mask. Can actually help a lot.

I think I'm on mask number 17! It was loaned to me and turned out to be the best. I have deep smile lines and needed a mask with a longer skirt. Too many of the masks have short skirts. ScubaPro Spectra is the one that worked for me. It's just been discontinued so I got the Synergy Twin. Leaks a bit more than the Spectra, but I need to dive with it more and see if I have to position it better. I bought the loaned mask from its owner!

Thanks for the reply and info, it is greatly appreciated. I have to say that if I don't know if I have big smile lines, but if I have to go thru 17 masks.....it wont matter because at that point I wont have any smile lines left!!!!
Spectra discontinued.......well, that's about right. Two seconds before I can get one they quit making it!!!! I will see if I can scare up a used one somewhere to try. At this point cost is not an issue. Thanks again.

My first thoughts.

This is true!

Yeah, I did...it don't leak. Now what????? Dive without a tank and reg??? I'll try it, but it probably wont work too good, LOL!!! Or do you mean without the snorkel hanging on the strap??? No, have not tried that, but again, it doesn't leak with just the snorkel and no reg.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and info, it is greatly appreciated. I have to say that if I don't know if I have big smile lines, but if I have to go thru 17 masks.....it wont matter because at that point I wont have any smile lines left!!!!
Spectra discontinued.......well, that's about right. Two seconds before I can get one they quit making it!!!! I will see if I can scare up a used one somewhere to try. At this point cost is not an issue. Thanks again.

Try eBay for Spectra or perhaps Amazon. Synergy Twin is the replacement model for Spectra so try that one, too. Know exactly what you mean about cost not being an issue.

My main mask problem was that they would flood as soon as I went under and began to equalize. Water just poured in. My masks liked to imitate the Titanic taking on water! Spectra leaks a small amount but it's after I've been under for a while and I can deal with it. A mask that's continually half full or more of water is stressful.

Try eBay for Spectra or perhaps Amazon. Synergy Twin is the replacement model for Spectra so try that one, too. Know exactly what you mean about cost not being an issue.

My main mask problem was that they would flood as soon as I went under and began to equalize. Water just poured in. My masks liked to imitate the Titanic taking on water! Spectra leaks a small amount but it's after I've been under for a while and I can deal with it. A mask that's continually half full or more of water is stressful.

Thanks, just to be clear, you didn't have the Spectra mini correct??? Yes there are some on the bay...I also think, after seeing it, that the local dive shop has one in stock. Just wanted to make sure it's not the mini you have. I will get a neoprene strap too. Costs...stress...you can believe one thing, if it solves the problem even if it's $500.00 I will have one today!!!!

@msinc

I have the Spectra Trufit, not the mini. Masks that are mini sized don't fit my face.

Buying a mask online is like Russian Roulette if you're hard to fit. Most people shove the mask up against their face and inhale to see if it fits. I'm going to suggest that this is problematic for several reasons, the biggest of which, the strap should never be that tight.

To properly fit a mask:
  • Use a fresh mask, right out of the box: not the display model
  • Pull the strap over the face plate (you won't have to see to see if it fits)
  • Look straight up
  • Gently place the mask on your face
  • Gently inhale
  • Look straight ahead
  • If the mask stayed on your face, then repeat the process with a big grin
  • The mask that stayed on all the time is the winner.

Buying a mask online is like Russian Roulette if you're hard to fit. Most people shove the mask up against their face and inhale to see if it fits. I'm going to suggest that this is problematic for several reasons, the biggest of which, the strap should never be that tight.

To properly fit a mask:
  • Use a fresh mask, right out of the box: not the display model
  • Pull the strap over the face plate (you won't have to see to see if it fits)
  • Look straight up
  • Gently place the mask on your face
  • Gently inhale
  • Look straight ahead
  • If the mask stayed on your face, then repeat the process with a big grin
  • The mask that stayed on all the time is the winner.

Okay, just tried this with both of the masks that I have....maybe I am doing it wrong, here is what happens:
1. Face to the sky, Venom on, light inhale {not clear if you mean lungs and not mask or just mask or both???} into the mask, look ahead mask falls off not holding breath or negative pressure in mask.
2. Tusa Freedom HD, same as above.

Repeat test holding slight negative in the masks and neither falls off. I would also add that both masks "feel" like a million bucks in place...they just seep water on a dive.

Lets drop back to diving for a second...should a diver when diving hold positive pressure {like you breath out to equalize}, negative pressure {allow very slight mask squeeze} or neutral in the mask????? I understand that on a dive the pressure in the mask will at certain times be any one of the three, but majority of the time how do you want it???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom