Masks with Purge Valve VS. Masks Without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well - mines blue - so I guess that rules out DIR! Actually - my first mask is a low volume black one (Mares Lyrica) - the trouble is it doesn't have corrected lenses in it - so I have a few problems reading camera settings/compass headings etc. I figure that if I don't like the purge valve I can always glue it shut!

KimLeece:
Well - mines blue - so I guess that rules out DIR! Actually - my first mask is a low volume black one (Mares Lyrica) - the trouble is it doesn't have corrected lenses in it - so I have a few problems reading camera settings/compass headings etc. I figure that if I don't like the purge valve I can always glue it shut!

Had the exact same thought there ! :eyebrow: Still leaves you with trouble equalizing ?? Could you manage that one-handed while carrying your gear ?

AnZal:
Had the exact same thought there ! :eyebrow: Still leaves you with trouble equalizing ?? Could you manage that one-handed while carrying your gear ?
The valve is a flat piece under the nose - it's just soft material on the sides of the nose like a normal mask - it shouldn't be any problem. I always equalize with one hand (and clear my mask with one hand) so that's not a problem.

KimLeece:
The valve is a flat piece under the nose - it's just soft material on the sides of the nose like a normal mask - it shouldn't be any problem. I always equalize with one hand (and clear my mask with one hand) so that's not a problem.

That'd be the rub then. The one i'm looking at has a 'hard' nose ..... Should 'fit' the wife nicely then :wink: ........

AnZal:
Me and the wife are thinking of buying our first masks. We haven't been diving for long and are not sure what all the pro's and con's are of masks with purge valves and those without.

What we do know is that you need two hands to equalize with a mask with purge valve and that we've experienced more squeeze with masks that had a 'soft' nose.

Any advice from the more experinced, or does it also depend on personal preference ?
I personally like low volume masks with black skirts,just like the cressi super-occio and the omer-abyss,very comfortable and good field of vision,the silicon on this masks is extremely soft and gives an excellent seal,they also dont turn yellow like the clear skirt ones,i dont like purge valves in masks because of clearing issues and equalizing (past issues with students).Try a few different models before you buy and see which one is the most comfortable one for you guys.peace

alemaozinho:
I personally like low volume masks with black skirts,just like the cressi super-occio and the omer-abyss,very comfortable and good field of vision,the silicon on this masks is extremely soft and gives an excellent seal,they also dont turn yellow like the clear skirt ones,i dont like purge valves in masks because of clearing issues and equalizing (past issues with students).Try a few different models before you buy and see which one is the most comfortable one for you guys.peace

Thanx, and i'll definitely take these suggestions into account.

Well for what its worth I have over 50 dives on my mask with a purge valve.
dont know why I just bought it when I first started diving.
i bought it mostly because I liked the fit and the range of vision this modle of mask offerd.
it just happend to have a purge valve as well. ( was not a deciding factor )
but i can tell you I have no problem with mask squeeze,
and I am able to clear the mask if I need to useing just one hand.
I do not know why you think you need to to clear your mask but dive with what makes you more at ease.

my self I can breath out through my nose a little bit every so offten during the dive and keep the mask squeeze from becomeing a problem .

and this will allso help any water that may seep in to be blown out.

but then I can do all of these things with my back up masks both of which do not have a purge valve in them.
I picked them for the same reasons I chose the mask with a purge I liked the fit and the range of vision I got from them.
of the three mask I like the one with the purge in it the best. just fits better I think.
but it is all up to the diver any how.

Sparky .

Purge valves are awesome (on a good mask). Do NOT get a dark color skirt. The dark color blocks light entering your mask... The less light, the less you see. Clear skirts are best. And i repeat, Purge valves are great!!!

Holy "against the grain of thread flow" Batman!

My experience is the light that comes from a source other than what I can really see (through glass) adds nothing to my vision, and in fact can be distracting.

When I tried a purge mask, I found that over the course of a dive the purge valve irritated the bottom of my nose. Others I know have said the same. Maybe we all have a big schnoz?

JAG

Back
Top Bottom