Masks with Purge Valve VS. Masks Without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnZal:
Don't have problems mask-clearing, and do see your point for not needing extra gadgets and more complications. The mask in question, a Tusa model (Imprex Hyperdry) also fits well, and it would probably be that which will be the deciding factor.
Fit is very important. As I think is the amount of light it lets in.
Purge or non purge? I never use my hands for clearing my ears, and it can be nice to have both those free to hang onto stuff, like cameras, downlines, and divers.
Once the purge mask is on, I do not have to touch it to clear out any water, from say an introductory diver bashing into me.
I like the Imprex Hyperdry.
Aloha Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
Fit is very important. As I think is the amount of light it lets in.
Purge or non purge? I never use my hands for clearing my ears, and it can be nice to have both those free to hang onto stuff, like cameras, downlines, and divers.
Once the purge mask is on, I do not have to touch it to clear out any water, from say an introductory diver bashing into me.
I like the Imprex Hyperdry.
Aloha Turtleguy

Thanx man ..... was waiting for someone who used that model. Thought it was just me but could swear that the field of vision was good. I like the solid square design too .... May just be a newbie who doesn't know any better thouhg .......

Add another vote for black skirt/no purge. Fit is everything. I love my mask - a Cressi Big Eyes.

I have a Mares Seta with a clear skirt... it's OK too, but I found I do prefer the black skirt. It just makes everything a lot clearer down there.

Boogie711:
Add another vote for black skirt/no purge. Fit is everything. I love my mask - a Cressi Big Eyes.

I have a Mares Seta with a clear skirt... it's OK too, but I found I do prefer the black skirt. It just makes everything a lot clearer down there.

And i've all but made up my mind ..... :crafty: .... I guess it'll mostly come down to personal preference and there'll always be as many people for as against ..... well, at least the world is still right-side-up ....... Thanx

Well I tried my new mask yesterday. It was great. Actually it was such a good fit that I had to intentionally flood it a couple of times to see if the purge valve worked. It seemed fine.

AnZal:
I guess it'll mostly come down to personal preference
Bingo, you win the prize. Don't let anyone tell you that some piece of gear that you like and are comfortable with is wrong.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I'm going to have to try a mask with a black skirt now.

Oh, and I think a purge valve is unneccessary. Less stuff = less that can go wrong. But that's just me.

Picked up the Imprex Hyperdry today and, weather permitting (been raining cats 'n dogs for 2 days :06: ), will use it this week and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom