Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icedraco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at full face masks and was wondering are they better than normal dive masks? What would the requirements be for a full mask? Are they different skill set from the norm masks? finally with the communication system inside the full mask what do you need to communicate with fellow divers or the surface?

Full face masks allow you to communicate directly with other divers beneath the surface. They cost a lot, and I personally think they are confining. Use them only if there is a specific need for constant verbal communication with another diver (or surface station) as in a forensic investigation, commercial enterprise, and the like. I have friends (husband and wife) who are both instructors, and they were them when teaching a large class together. As a new diver, you have no need of them. Plus, you need 2, need to get someone else you are diving with to wear the other, or it is of no value.
DivemasterDennis

FFM's (Full Face Masks) are designed (optimized) for a specific purpose. Thus, they are not usually a good choice for "general" recreational diving. FFM's also cover a range of configurations leading up to a true helmet. Yes, you should get special training, just like you should get special training for a mask and recreational regulator. The most interesting (to me) FFM for recreational use is: Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Full Face Masks | M-48 I think that it would be nice in really cold water.

Moving towards a helmet, AGA Divator. I certified on an AGA, it was a fun change from standard mask and reg. Downside: Because it is a positive pressure mask I really ripped through gas. I also didn't like the "floaty head" feeling. Both of these issues can be resolved through practice. Upside: When properly adjusted, breathing is effortless and they just plain don't fog as the dry air is directed at the inside visor. They also give a great view.

If you can't get a true helmet out of your mind, try this: Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Full Face Masks | Kirby Morgan BandMask 18 & 28.

With all the above, you should be able to remove the mask and go to your secondary air source using a standard "recreational" secondary regulator. It is also nice to have a recreational mask stashed on you somewhere in case you need to do this in ugly conditions.

I strongly recommend that you get standard rec gear down pat first. You will learn a lot of skills that translate well when you "move up" to a FFM.

I have been thinking about this for a while, never tried a mask or never even held one in my hand, the question is:

How to equalize ear and sinuses when you cannot squeeze your nose?

Greetings icedraco and I will preface these statements with a disclaimer that personally I have put a full face on above water but never dove one.
I dive with many firefighters / public safety divers who use AGA systems with and without com units.

I can make a few general comments about the full face masks;
1. They are expensive.
2. They are very useful for safety diving.
3. They do use more air than traditional scuba.
4. They require very vigilant service and maintenance.
5. They are best employed for specific very planned uses because of the cost verses reward.
6. Most uses I have witnessed recreational diving have been either ice or cave diving for specific projects where communication in critical.
7. I have watched several videos where reporters and interview divers were in them.
8. They would be fun to play with but as lowviz has stated you have to train very hard to ensure you are well adept at swapping to traditional and full face back and forth.
9. They do require special training to use one.

So would I try one out? Sure!
Would I buy one? Probably not because of the cost verses return principal.
I would not get enough use out of one to justify letting that $$$$ set in a case most of the time.
These are my thoughts and opinions only and if you wish by all means give it a go but train hard to be very competent and remain so.
As with any advanced dives or diving it is OUR responsibility to keep our skills adequate.

Safe diving,
CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have been thinking about this for a while, never tried a mask or never even held one in my hand, the question is:

Hijacking the thread for a bit:
martinskarin There are many different and safer ways to equalize rather than the pinch and squeeze (valsalva maneuver).
The Valsalva maneuver is a bit dodgey in that you can over do it and blow out your eardrums. It's also quite forceful in my opinion.

Me personally, I just open my mouth and "yawn", using my lips to hold my reg in. With continued equalization practice you can actually open the base of your Eustachian tubes and equalize hands free.

Try searching "Freznel Technique" and VTO (Voluntary Tubal Opening). Both should bring up a few tutorials that will help you on your way towards hands free equalizing.

Just keep in mind, the most important thing to remember is you have to equalize early and often when you first start out with hands free equalization. You should not really hear or feel any large pops in your ears if you're equalizing early and often.

Moving back to the FFM:
If you have to pinch your nose, some FFM's have pinch pads (not the actual name, so don't quote me on that) which will allow you to pinch your nose.

I am looking at full face masks and was wondering are they better than normal dive masks? What would the requirements be for a full mask? Are they different skill set from the norm masks? finally with the communication system inside the full mask what do you need to communicate with fellow divers or the surface?

Not sure why you would need a comm system with full face mask, but if you do, the Kirby Morgan systems are very good. I own a couple of helmets from them. They are expensive and this does not include comm systems. They don't make them, you will need to buy those separately $$$$$
The main use for comm systems on a rec dive would be for entertainment on helium dives ;-)
You will need some training, because of the additional task loading. You need to get very comfortable with them if you are not surface supplied to deal with an out of gas situation.

Hijacking the thread for a bit:
martinskarin There are many different and safer ways to equalize rather than the pinch and squeeze (valsalva maneuver).
The Valsalva maneuver is a bit dodgey in that you can over do it and blow out your eardrums. It's also quite forceful in my opinion.

Me personally, I just open my mouth and "yawn", using my lips to hold my reg in. With continued equalization practice you can actually open the base of your Eustachian tubes and equalize hands free.

Try searching "Freznel Technique" and VTO (Voluntary Tubal Opening). Both should bring up a few tutorials that will help you on your way towards hands free equalizing.

Just keep in mind, the most important thing to remember is you have to equalize early and often when you first start out with hands free equalization. You should not really hear or feel any large pops in your ears if you're equalizing early and often.
What you describe works for ears but it does not work for sinuses.

I personally can equilize my ears hands free but for sinuses I have to pinch the nose. I have not yet found another way

Most FFM's come with a built-in holder or socket for a "nose block", a rubber insert that will allow you to block off your nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom