Master Diver - prerequisites and logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boaty McBoatface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just finished my SSI AOW. I'm interested in pursuing Master Diver. I have questions about the documentation required. As I understand it, Master Diver requires 50 dives, plus 4 specialties, plus Stress & Rescue.

(1) My AOW class included 4 specialties (night, buoyancy, navigation, and deep). Are these the same 4 specialties (or can they be considered as the same 4) needed for Master Diver, or does SSI require 4 *additional* specialties (total of 8, plus Stress & Rescue)?

(2) I reached the end of my first SSI paper logbook of 24 dives which came with my OW class. My dive computer creates logs that I can backup to my
phone/PC, so I don't want to keep another paper logbook. But, I need to show 50 dives for Master Diver somehow. Does that mean I need to go through the tedious process of manually entering all the details of my (first 50) dives into the MySSI Logbook, or can I just update/track the total number on MySSI somehow, or do I need to show my computer dive log to someone?

(3) Unlike OW and AOW there's no Master Diver class, it seems. Once I complete the requirements, am I automatically issued a Master Diver card, or is there some form or process I need to complete?

Thx

Most instructors will accept a logbook printout. I’m not SSI but most every agency I know of, the AOW dives are only the first dive of the full speciality. You would need to complete the full speciality ie have the appropriate card in your pocket.

@RayfromTX is SSI maybe he can chip in.

SSI standards are at my.DiveSSI.com SSI Master takes 50 dives, rescue and 4 complete specialties. That reads as if the same specialties would count for both, just needing the addition of rescue and the 50 dives total. SSI AOW is not a prerequisite for SSI Master, OW is explicitly. Apparently once your SSI record reflects all of that, you get digitally issued Master at no cost. As OP mentioned SSI AOW is four complete specialties (and 24 dives total), not just the first dives of them.

I have SSI AOW and would have been issued master if I had had more dives, it was a while ago, but backs up that reading. SDI has a similar system for AOW and Master.

Last edited:
As I understand it, Master Diver requires 50 dives, plus 4 specialties, plus Stress & Rescue.

CORRECT

(1) My AOW class included 4 specialties (night, buoyancy, navigation, and deep). Are these the same 4 specialties (or can they be considered as the same 4) needed for Master Diver, or does SSI require 4 *additional* specialties (total of 8, plus Stress & Rescue)?

AS AN SSI AOW DIVER YOU NOW ONLY NEED TO COMPLETE THE STRESS AND RESCUE COURSE AND COMPLETE AT LEAST 50 DIVES

(2) can I just update/track the total number on MySSI somehow, or do I need to show my computer dive log to someone?

YOU CAN SIMPLY CONTINUE LOGGING DIVES IN YOUR SSI DIGITAL LOG. SSI WILL GO BY WHATEVER NUMBER OF DIVES YOU HAVE IN YOUR ONLINE PROFILE. IN FACT YOU REALLY ONLY TO MAKE ONE ENTRY IN THE DIGITAL LOG AND LABEL IT AS DIVE 50 OR HIGHER. JUST BE SURE TO KEEP AN ACCURATE UP TO DATE LOG (PAPER OR ELECTRONIC) SO IT CAN BE VERIFIED WHEN NEEDED.

(3) Unlike OW and AOW there's no Master Diver class, it seems. Once I complete the requirements, am I automatically issued a Master Diver card, or is there some form or process I need to complete?

ACTUALLY, THE SPECIALTY DIVER, ADV DIVER, AND MASTER DIVER ARE ALL "DIVER RECOGNITION" LEVELS. THIS MEANS THAT NONE OF THESE ARE "COURSES". THEY ARE CARDS ISSUED AT NO CHARGE BY SSI AS A WAY OF SAYING THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS.

Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom