Master Diver - worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did qualify for it with SSI. It was free and they sent me a t-shirt.
Wait...there's a t-shirt. o_O

I am one if I buy the cards but so far in decades of rec. diving my logbook has gotten me on every "advanced" dive I've ever wanted to go on.

Let's start with buoyancy and trim. When I got to 30 dives, I thought, "Wow! I'm getting really good at buoyancy control!" When I had abut 80 dives, I thought "I was wrong about being good at buoyancy when I had 30 dives--now I have it mastered!" I had epiphanies of that sort every 80-100 dives. When I started tech, I realized I was still a beginner. I got better and better and better, but with well over a thousand dives now, I know people who still have me blown away. Want to test yourself to see where you are? The next time you do a 3-minute safety stop, do it in horizontal trim (perfectly flat), without going a foot shallower or deeper and without moving a muscle. Now imagine doing that for, say, a 30 minute decompression stop.

Now imagine doing that while accomplishing tasks like writing in a notebook

That one is a litmus test, I think. Hold a shallow stop in trim, with less than one foot variation, without sculling your fins, without moving forwards or backwards, and all while writing a legible and coherent note on a slate or in wet notes.

You can (conceivably) do a tank rotation without looking. Eyes closed. Zero viz. Or looking at your depth gauge. Whatever. But, accomplishing a task that involves fine motor skills, thinking about what you're doing (writing), and actually focusing your vision on your hands takes "hard" to a whole other level, in my book.

That one is a litmus test, I think. Hold a shallow stop in trim, with less than one foot variation, without sculling your fins, without moving forwards or backwards, and all while writing a legible and coherent note on a slate or in wet notes.

Every boat dive I've done in recent memory had swells that were greater than +/- 1 foot, often far greater. Trying to stay level with the hanging weights, I'd sometimes find myself at 9-10 ft. Oops.

Every boat dive I've done in recent memory had swells that were greater than +/- 1 foot, often far greater. Trying to stay level with the hanging weights, I'd sometimes find myself at 9-10 ft. Oops.

If you can hold 10 feet in a swimming pool, while meeting all those other criteria, you've still got my respect!!

I like ending the dive going back to shore within 1-2 feet of the surface and holding that depth.

My LDS has a big plaque on the wall, and when one gets their Master Diver card, your name gets engraved on the plaque. Similar to how Colliam7 mentioned the certificates.

I was close in terms of specialties and was working on my Rescue Diver after a decade of diving. I had done specialties as I needed them for the kinds of diving that I wanted to be doing. I had not planned on bothering with the MSD card. However, my daughter (then 10 years old) was getting her O/W and basically challenged me to get my name up there because she wanted to get her name up there with mine. For her, it was a commitment to achievement and to extending her dive training.

After she was certified in 2013, she did a couple of specialties that she could do when she was still 10, then got her AOW in Bonaire last March and Rescue shortly thereafter, as well as the last couple of specialties. She set herself a goal and she achieved her goal of being a Jr Master Scuba Diver at age 13. I couldn't be prouder of her for setting a goal for herself and achieving that goal. And prouder still that she understands that she still has lots to learn!

Our names are not side by side on the LDS plaque that I mentioned, but she is now up there with me.

Everyone has their own reasons for getting the Master Diver card, or for not getting it. In my opinion, the only wrong reason to get it is any expectation that it should be the end of your own personal improvement as a diver, whether you choose to go pro or not.

Funny I had a similar experience with my son. He too started diving at 10. He did his OW buoyancy test upside down because "Dad, it's just hovering, it doesn't matter which direction you are facing". He was desperate to get his Master Diver when he was 12. We dove together in Texas, Florida and Mexico, but it wasnt until he did the rescue class that I really believe he finally "got it" that what we were doing was loads of fun but that there is a dangerous side to it. About 3 weeks after that class, on the second dive of the day, with 4 dives planned, he called the dive. It was then that I knew whatever diving he did in the future he should be a safe diver. He is now diving with Air Force special forces and while he enjoys jumping out of planes, he still thinks the water is the best place to be.

I'm the guy that started this thread and between 12 May and 6 August 63 people have responded (thank you for your time). I have read and re-read all of your comments and here are the stats:

18 negative comments.
25 Neutral, off-topic, or can't figure out what they're going on about.
20 positive comments.

Some of the comments can be taken in several different ways but I have tried to be honest in my evaluation. If we discount the 25 neutral or off-topic responses then the count is about even with half the people thinking the MSD certificate is worth getting/having and half saying don't bother.

I have yet to get the cert from PADI (boy are they slow) but will be proud to have it when it arrives. After actively diving for 49 years and still being alive I feel I have earned it.

Funny comment - the only time I was injured diving was taking the rescue course. We took turns being victim and rescuer. I pulled a muscle getting the (larger than me) victim out of the water.

I'm the guy that started this thread and between 12 May and 6 August 63 people have responded (thank you for your time). I have read and re-read all of your comments and here are the stats:

18 negative comments.
25 Neutral, off-topic, or can't figure out what they're going on about.
20 positive comments.

Some of the comments can be taken in several different ways but I have tried to be honest in my evaluation. If we discount the 25 neutral or off-topic responses then the count is about even with half the people thinking the MSD certificate is worth getting/having and half saying don't bother.

I have yet to get the cert from PADI (boy are they slow) but will be proud to have it when it arrives. After actively diving for 49 years and still being alive I feel I have earned it.

Funny comment - the only time I was injured diving was taking the rescue course. We took turns being victim and rescuer. I pulled a muscle getting the (larger than me) victim out of the water.
Hey Bert
If you want to get the cert as a mark of achievement I see nothing wrong with it -its often a milestone for divers who have worked hard at their dive craft and can put non diving friends and family at ease when you go diving knowing you have gained a certain level of competency

Pointless cert and and cheeky as well. I would no more consider anyone possessing one as a master of diving as I would a master mountain climber who had scaled 5 mildly sloped hills and simulated the rescue of a fallen climber by pulling them on a sled 50 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom